See The Oldman Cataloque.

Dajak.
Attached Images

Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 08:13 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY BEAUTIFUL OLD EXAMPLE FROM A FAMOUS OLD COLLECTOR/ DEALER. IT SHOWS VERY WELL THE WORKMANSHIP OF THE MASTER CARVERS OF THE TIME. NO DOUBT THE BLADE WAS STATE OF THE ART AS WELL. A COMPLETE EXAMPLE IS RARE AS MOST SEEM TO HAVE LOST THE SCABBARDS ALONG THE WAY. THANKS FOR POSTING A PICTURE OF THIS TREASURE. IS IT YOURS ON ON YOUR WISH LIST
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Dajak

Hi Vandoo it is mine I did had many weapons that where pictured in the Oldman cataloque .....

The handle is rare normally they have other type like the above one in the pic.

Dajak
Attached Images

Old 18th January 2017, 09:40 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I HAVE NOT SEEN MANY OF THESE AND MOST HAVE BEEN VERY MUCH LIKE THE FIRST ONE ON TOP OF THE 3 PICTURED TOGETHER. IT APPEARS TO HAVE THE SMALL SIDE KNIFE LIKE THE DAYAK MANDAU IS THAT COMMON AND JUST MISSING ON MOST EXAMPLES.? NOT ONLY IS THERE VARIATION ON THE CARVED WOOD HANDLES THERE IS DIFFERENCES IN THE BRASS WORK IN GUARD SHAPE AND DESIGNS ENGRAVED OR CAST INTO THEM. OTHER METALS MAY ALSO HAVE BEEN USED PERHAPS SILVER OR GERMAN SILVER.? IS THERE VARIATIONS IN BLADE TIPS AS FOUND ON MANDAU THE ONES I HAVE SEEN ARE MUCH THE SAME ON PAKAYUN. SOME HANDLES HAVE WOVEN FIBER AND SOME DO NOT, PERHAPS IT BECOMES BRITTLE AND IS LOST OVER TIME. DO YOU KNOW IF THESE VARIATIONS ARE RELATED TO DIFFERENT REGIONS AND TRIBES OR DEPENDING AND THE PRESTIGE AND POWER OF THE OWNERS. I SUPPOSE DIFFERENT FASHIONS AND DESIGNS HAD INFLUENCE OVER THE MANY YEARS THIS FORM OF SWORD HAS TAKEN TO EVOLVE. LOTS OF QUESTIONS BUT THAT IS PART OF THE FUN OF COLLECTING. DOING RESEARCH AND LOOKING FOR CLUES TO SOLVE THE MANY MYSTERY'S.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 10:06 PM   #6
Dajak

Hi Vandoo the side knife is very rare with Pakayuns it is connected by an rope so it can take of if needed.

Same by the Ibans no pocket knife connected but I have an Iban parang that has an pocket knife there are always exceptions....

I think there always little variation but with the Pakayun it is the time that change things.

I have only yet one pakayun that has brass dots in it.....some are carved but that are the later examples because not the old type heavy blade (same as the Jimpul old ones have heavy blades but also as we can see many difference).

I had more than 30 pakayuns in my collection and see 20 other ones for to study.....

That was the only thing to learn something about it because not much information is written about is.

Dajak