Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th January 2021, 09:48 PM   #31
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I have attached a museum picture from that site that shows corvos from the War of the Pacific (dated 1880), including several general purpose examples. The pictures show that the dorsal- and central-oriented tangs, and the two types of bolsters you describe, were coexistent at the time of the War of the Pacific. It's possible that central tangs are more common today but they don't seem to have originated more recently than the dorsal tangs.
Hi Ian,
I've hoped you join in! And yes, you show the counterevidence.

But I still think that the one inquestion is an early example, what you think?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 02:34 AM   #32
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default What do the copper dots mean?

In the grouping shown here from earlier posts, one corvo is seen with these copper dots, though different orientation.
Does anyone know the significance?
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 10:32 AM   #33
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Jim, i would not know the actual meaning of the brass dots on the corvo of Don Artemon Arellano's collection, but in case you are not aware, this is how Chilean corvos classified in a local blog.

1 - Luxury corvos: these are carefully and carefully made, measuring approximately 30 centimeters in total including the handle, the latter generally made of several alternating rings of bone, bronze, wood or stones. Although they may eventually be tools or weapons, it seems that presentation and symbolism predominate in the nature of this type of corvos over their mere functionality.

2 - Popular corvos: they are those that were made in a very artisanal way, with simple wooden or bone handles, conceived as tools for different trades but that, circumstantially, were converted into combat weapons, and apparently they serve this purpose quite well.

3 - Historiated corvos: these are those that have whitish, yellowish metal or brass circles embedded in their blade, or have been engraved with "trees of death" and other similar marks, intended to count the number of deaths passed through the weapon, a characteristic which gives it a macabre added value as a relic, since it is supposed to be used directly as a weapon of war and sometimes also in banditry.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 12:54 PM   #34
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Fernando!
These are great insights into these seemingly obscure knives, and my example has intrigued me for many years, but now I want to finally learn more about it.
What you have added is really interesting about the dots.

Naturally we cannot know the intended meaning, but that these were deliberately placed in the blade at its production seems to defy the notion of a 'tally' of 'victories' in a just produced blade. This long held notion has been around a long time, and I think of the western lore tales of gunfighters notching the grips of their six shooters for 'kills'. This was of course 'dime novel' sensationalism as no gunfighter known ever defaced his gun in this way (the actual guns they used are well known, none have notches).
Maybe if the corvo was custom made for an individual, he might specify such a number with that in mind, but who knows.

However with these dots and the other blade embellishments you note, much as with sword blades, these may have various talismanic values it would seem. In Islamic sword blades, embedded gold metal dots like this are held as sort of a lucky charm, but unclear on what numerically varying cases might mean.

Most sources I have found do relate the 'macabre' nature of these knives, derisively known in Peruvian and Bolivian accounts as 'cutthroat knives' from the War of the Pacific (1879-1883). It seems the use of these corvo during this war is well documented, and 'terrible injuries and fatalities' were induced by them. The derisive use by bandits etc. was of course pejorative.

While artwork of battles of this war follow the typical convention of uniformed men in pitched battle with muskets etc. it seems likely the actual combats were far more unconventional. With forces largely of conscripted men, these Chileans were closely bound to their traditional weapon, the corvo, which was traditionally the weapon they always had at hand. Much of the fighting was close in, and with a skilled user, the corvo was deadly.

It seems discussion on these has come up several times over the past decade, and have had pretty good traction, but we need to learn more.
As always, these kinds of symbolic features, the DOTS are haunting!
"I gots to know!" (-downed miscreant to "Dirty Harry", 1971)

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 10th December 2023 at 01:15 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote