Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st September 2021, 05:09 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default strange dagger

Not sure if this should be in this section or the European ... please move if required.
This is a well made dagger but what on earth does the handle have that 'hook' for ? Hopefully one of our members will have seen this before ?
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2021, 05:57 AM   #2
kronckew

Looks like a repurposed decorative finial from a racing sulky horse harness. In ancient Roman times they called it 'chariot racing' & the driver carried a small knife to cut the reins in case of accident, I wonder if modern harness racers do too...

The 'hook' is to hold the check (or bearing) rein that serves to hold the horse's head up.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd September 2021 at 06:30 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:03 AM   #3
thinreadline

Wow ... looks like you have hit the nail on the head ! That clearly is what it is . Thank you so much , this has been puzzling me for ages so cant thank you enough kronckew .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:03 AM   #4
kronckew

You are welcome!

-wayne
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:47 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Great ID Wayne!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:25 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow! Wayne, how the heck did ya catch this one.....the scope of your very eclectic knowledge is amazing! nicely done!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:34 AM   #7
kronckew

Thanks for y'alls kind words.

After I left the USCG, I was employed by a design & construction firm & worked for one of the VPs who'd hired me. We took the same train to work every morning and back i the evening, so he let me follow his hours, which got us to work 15 minutes late, and we had to leave 15 minutes early in the evening. A hidden perk. Anyway, talking one trip I asked him why he'd hired me. I was interviewed along with a dozen or so recently laid off aviation co. degreed engineers. I have a degree in Marine Engineering, more close to their needs at the time for chemical plant construction, but he said it wasn't the degree as much as that I knew where to look things up.

p.s.- was kidding about the 'reins knife' bit. They don't need them any more as they don't tie the reins to themselves like they did in Roman times.
People in the UK here actually still use similar decorated harness and horse drawn vehicles. There are 'How to harness your pony' videos on a popular internet video site that starts with you and ends with tube that show the 'bearing reins' and harness hook - in a more modern style.

Last edited by kronckew; 23rd September 2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old 23rd September 2021, 08:40 AM   #8
ausjulius

damn though you really did spot that! woudl have never picked that up .
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:25 AM   #9
kronckew

I confess I had a neighbour friend who happened to have a horse harness from his younger years and had suggested horse brasses when he noticed the post I was trying to google. That led me to more specific harnesses & hook devices. Knowing where to look when you have a hint makes it easier.�� I do have a fairly broad range of interests and strange things hidden in the cob-webby nooks and crannies of my brain cells, ie. 'eclectic'. I do not seem to have an 'erase' button, tho they do slowly fade away from up front, to long term storage way in the back behind the old boxes of junk.