Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th December 2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Congoblades

Default Shamshir for comment

After a google search I presume it is a shamshir and turkish
The cross-guard is different than most I see on the web.
96 cm long.
I would appreciate your comments about the origin and age.
The cross-guard is loose, is there a way to fix it?
Attached Images

Congoblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Oliver Pinchot

It's hard to say where this sword is actually from because it's a combination of parts. The blade is good Caucasian work, probably made in Tbilisi c. 1850. The guard is Persian, and considerably earlier; this type with recurved quillons is rare. The grips are more or less recent. It was probably assembled for use in the early 20th century.

Last edited by Oliver Pinchot; 4th December 2014 at 05:02 PM.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Kubur

Dear Oliver,
Are you sure that the blade is Caucasian?
I have a Persian Qadara with the same stamps...
The blade looks Persian for me.
Regards
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 06:58 PM   #4
Congoblades

Found this picture on the net, similar guard.

shamshir-nader-shah-afsharid-dr-khorasani
Attached Images

Old 4th December 2014, 07:15 PM   #5
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoblades
The cross-guard is loose, is there a way to fix it?
might be due to shrinkage of the wood grip scales. you could try soaking the hilt in linseed oil to swell it a bit, as long as the scales are not also attached with an oil soluble glue; that might however let you disassemble the hilt easier & tighten it back on cleaning and re-assembling it. injecting a modern filler like epoxy steel into the gap is likely to be frowned on & reduce it's value. a big blob of goop like the last photo would also not be a good idea. some middle eastern swords have that area wound with wire, which might be something to try first. it at least will not be a permanent repair that might lessen the item's value.

adding a pin thru the guard like that thru gold koftgari is also not a good career move. i do note in my photo above there was some sort of glue, possibly cutler's cement under the wire which came thru a bit. might even be silver solder. not my weapon.

this one shows the outline of the guard grip languet under the wire a bit better.

i recall someone posted instructions on reconstructing a turkish hilt here somewhere that might help.

Last edited by kronckew; 4th December 2014 at 07:32 PM.
kronckew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Congoblades

Thanks. The wire is probably the safest thing to do. Simple and it will keep the guard at his place. Nice.
Old 5th December 2014, 06:31 PM   #7
Oliver Pinchot

Kubur, why not post a pic of your blade so we can compare them.
Congoblades, the original treatment, and also the most conscientious form of restoration, would be to fill the aperture between the guard and blade with a water-soluble paste or putty.

Last edited by Oliver Pinchot; 5th December 2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 5th December 2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Kubur

Voila
Very similar...
Best,
Attached Images

Old 6th December 2014, 02:42 AM   #9
ariel

South Caucasian Qaddara, they migrated to Iran to be used in the Ashura ceremony.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 03:27 AM   #10
estcrh

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
South Caucasian Qaddara, they migrated to Iran to be used in the Ashura ceremony.
I have seen this particular type being described as a Persian infantry sword, seems to nice for Ashura.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Kubur

I agree with Escrtch...
Too nice and too heavy also
or you do ashura one time only...
I'm fine with Persian infantry sword like the French briquet
May be the blades were produced in South Caucasus, I have no idea about that...
Old 6th December 2014, 12:14 PM   #12
Kubur

Plus the coins on the rivets of the grip are Qajar
The scabbard is Qajar...what else...
We need an expert for the stamps on the blade...
Old 6th December 2014, 01:21 PM   #13
Congoblades

Have also this one, similar fullers as the sword. Will probably be of the same region. The decoration on the tip of the sheath is a bit strange. Looks more like german or austrian??
Attached Images

Old 6th December 2014, 03:10 PM   #14
Kubur

The lion with the sword or the gazelle on your scabbard are pure Persian motives.
For me, your sword is Persian from A to Z.
Old 7th December 2014, 12:07 AM   #15
Oliver Pinchot

Kubur, for a sound attribution for this type of blade, see Astvatsaturian, Oruzhiye Narodov Kavkaza (Atlant, 2004-- this is the most recent, expanded edition) p. 334. Dr. Astvatsaturian discusses the type but also shows examples signed with stamps, with Arabic as well as Armenian signatures, interestingly.

Let's assume for a moment, that there was no established documentation. When you look at a weapon such as this, which is generally mounted with Persian coins on the grips, and which shows Persian motifs on the scabbard mounts (provided it has them) it is reasonable to assume the blade is likewise Persian. First, however, consider the overall form of the weapon-- it is Caucasian, not Persian. Then, look at commonalities-- even if you have never before seen a Georgian saber with a blade of this type, have you seen a similar blade which would bear out a Persian attribution? I.e., straight, broad, single-edged, acutely-pointed, struck with a stamp, and forged with complex, asymmetrical fullering? The form, wherever it may have been made, does not fit into the set of characteristics which identify Persian work.

Without doubt, there are weapons of general "kindjal" form which were made entirely in Northern Persia; the blades of those weapons, however, are either distinct from these, or are copies with notable differences. The blades under discussion here were exported in large numbers from the Caucasus, together with saber blades of many forms, to Persia, the Arabian Peninsula, and Africa. See Elgood, The Arms and Armour of Arabia (Scolar, 1994) p. 22-25 for a discussion of hussar-style blades and images of a blade which any of us would be inclined to attribute to a Persian workshop.

Last edited by Oliver Pinchot; 7th December 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 7th December 2014, 03:53 AM   #16
ariel

Default Shamshir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
Kubur, why not post a pic of your blade so we can compare them.
Congoblades, the original treatment, and also the most conscientious form of restoration, would be to fill the aperture between the guard and blade with a water-soluble paste or putty.

Oliver,
Can you recommend a particular brand?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 04:19 AM   #17
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
Kubur, for a sound attribution for this type of blade, see Astvatsaturian, Oruzhiye Narodov Kavkaza (Atlant, 2004-- this is the most recent, expanded edition) p. 334. Dr. Astvatsaturian discusses the type but also shows examples signed with stamps, with Arabic as well as Armenian signatures, interestingly.

Let's assume for a moment, that there was no established documentation. When you look at a weapon such as this, which is generally mounted with Persian coins on the grips, and which shows Persian motifs on the scabbard mounts (provided it has them) it is reasonable to assume the blade is likewise Persian. First, however, consider the overall form of the weapon-- it is Caucasian, not Persian. Then, look at commonalities-- even if you have never before seen a Georgian saber with a blade of this type, have you seen a similar blade which would bear out a Persian attribution? I.e., straight, broad, single-edged, acutely-pointed, struck with a stamp, and forged with complex, asymmetrical fullering? The form, wherever it may have been made, does not fit into the set of characteristics which identify Persian work.

Without doubt, there are weapons of general "kindjal" form which were made entirely in Northern Persia; the blades of those weapons, however, are either distinct from these, or are copies with notable differences. The blades under discussion here were exported in large numbers from the Caucasus, together with saber blades of many forms, to Persia, the Arabian Peninsula, and Africa. See Elgood, The Arms and Armour of Arabia (Scolar, 1994) p. 22-25 for a discussion of hussar-style blades and images of a blade which any of us would be inclined to attribute to a Persian workshop.
Great information Oliver. here is a link to a PDf copy which I think is to the book you referenced, unfortunately it is not in English.

EG Astvatsaturyan. "Weapons of peoples of the Caucasus"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...80642063,d.aWw

Last edited by estcrh; 7th December 2014 at 06:54 AM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 02:31 PM   #18
Kubur

Thank you very much Oliver
Now another point, could you explain the fact that some qaddara with the blades that you described are covered with golden inscriptions, farsi as well.
Do you think that they did the inscriptions and the decoration on the blades later??? Some are published in the book of Khorasani, others are visible on line.
Old 7th December 2014, 06:17 PM   #19
Oliver Pinchot

Yes of course, chiseled panels, inscriptions and koftgari could be, and often were, done at virtually any time after the blade was finished. Note that these techniques are typically found on areas of the blade which are subject to less hardening in the heat-treating process.

Ariel, what was used in Persia in period was a combination of borax and other constituents, applied in a paste and allowed to harden. I know a couple of restorers have mentioned that patching plaster, the sort you mix with water, is effective. I imagine it's available at any hardware store. Bear in mind that while this pretty well duplicates the color and texture of the original when dry, it's only intended to stabilize the guard, not to make the sword combat-ready... ;0)

Last edited by Oliver Pinchot; 7th December 2014 at 06:28 PM.