Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th January 2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Hombre

Default Dagger

Should be very grateful for opinions on this one.... These are the only pictures I have for the moment...

Best,
Stefan
Attached Images

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 01:06 PM   #2
corrado26

I think this is a Majdali from Syria, certainly some experts here will give you more exakt infos.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 05:34 PM   #3
G. Mansfield

It is a typical Syrian khanjar, likely 1960's. It may have been made in Jordan for the Damascus tourists market. The Arabic writing on it may hold some clues if translated but better pictures of the blade will need to be posted. Here is an example that I have similar. Purchased in Jordan in the 1980's for travelers, makes for a good gift but not very functional unless sharpened.

-Geoff
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 08:49 PM   #4
motan

Sorry, but I have to agree with G. Mansfield. Some clues tell me it is probably from Syria, but from Damascus, so not from the village of Majdal Shams, where the best and most well-known types were made. I would even say it was made 1980 or later.
As G. Mansfield suggested, you should clean the blade so that the writing will be readable. It is not always informative, but if you are lucky, a maker, place or date could become visible.
Also, the upper part of the hilt is turned 180 deg. You can probably turn it back by hand, so the the decorated part will all be at the front of the dagger.
G. Mansfield's example is equally recent, but could be made anywhere. They are made also in Iraq and Lebanon. I attached a pic of a recent purchase that is good quality and of one of the two main types made in Majdal Shams.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 08:54 PM   #5
motan

Oeps, picture problems again.. I my phone has more pixels than the previous one, so shrinking to 30% is not enough.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2020, 08:52 AM   #6
Hombre

Thank you so very much, guys. I really appreciate your answers and I must admit that I am superimpressed of your knowledge. Just fantastic!

Best,
Stefan
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote