Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th February 2022, 06:38 PM   #1
Cerjak

I think everything has been said about this kris and the information gathered far exceeds my expectations.
I also realise that the study of kris requires extensive knowledge and therefore years of passion and research. The answers I got showed me that there are real experts in this forum who were kind enough to spend time answering a neophite.
So thank you all!
Best Cerjak
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2022, 08:30 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

I've held back on comment on this keris.

My reason is that I've been waiting for somebody comment and offer an opinion on the weird grain in the metal.

I'm wondering is we might have a material that varies from the usual externally sourced iron from China.

Maybe wootz?

There have been examples of wootz being used in keris blades.

As for origin, not a lot to go on, but I lean to Banten. That distinct odo-odo (ada-ada) running the full length of the blade does not occur in many classifications, and in view of the obvious age of this keris, and its placement outside Jawa, I reckon Banten might be a pretty fair guess.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2022, 09:42 PM   #3
Gustav

Alan, I have thought about the possibility of wootz, but:

doesn`t the grain in this picture behave a bit more like a normal material grain above the Poyuhan? Also in the full length pictures the we see long vertical strains of grain, especially in the upper half of blade. Would wootz also behave like that?

Would a Keris with a Slorok of wootz have Pamor (I have so far seen only Keris entirely made out of wootz)? I ask, because this blade seems to have few small patches of other material. Is it possible to weld wootz together with other material for a Javanese Pande?

Regarding classification - I have seen a picture of Sorsoran of a blade, which is indeed very close to what is left of features on this blade (I have no idea about other indicators) in quite small details, and it was given Tangguh Sedayu by Pak Pauzan.

Does this blade have some characteristics of Tangguh Sedayu in your oppinion?
Attached Images

Last edited by Gustav; 15th February 2022 at 09:52 PM.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote