Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th April 2023, 07:45 PM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

JIm, regarding the two kaskara hilts shown in the above post by you; a question, has anyone come up with a meaning or origin of the mark on the right hand blade? Does this mark signify european or local manufacture?
The Kaskara that I own has this same mark, and maybe my memory is failing me but I can't remember whether it was identified.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2023, 06:13 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
JIm, regarding the two kaskara hilts shown in the above post by you; a question, has anyone come up with a meaning or origin of the mark on the right hand blade? Does this mark signify european or local manufacture?
The Kaskara that I own has this same mark, and maybe my memory is failing me but I can't remember whether it was identified.
Rick, you and I are likely on same memory issues, but this strange mark as far as I know has never been identified. I recall we termed it the 'enigma' and there were notions that it might be related to some of the unusual marks seen in Briggs (1965). I recall even thinking it might have been related to some Sudanese cattle brands, which had a moment of promise but no further support.
It seems you and I have the only examples of this mark (that I can recall), but these discussions were 14 or more years ago, and I think I've had the sword for about 20 years or so.
The mark does not indicate European source for the blade, but it may be a copy of one.
Really hoped we'd find some solution, but there are many 'enigmas' with these weapons.......shaver cool man!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2023, 04:08 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

Thanks Jim, I guess my incipient dementia isn't that bad after all..
The mystery continues then.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote