Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 4th October 2023, 11:18 PM   #1
wildwolberine

Default Hybrid bolo/barung

Curious to know if any forum members have seen similar knives? Has what looks like a common bolo blade profile with a barung hilt. Not obviously chisel ground. The hilt is plain wood, much more utilitarian than a barung hilt, more or less in line with the blade’s spine. It does have a very nicely fitted brass ferrule with an octagonal cross section. Overall the item is solidly made and doesn’t look like a tourist piece. Cross-cultural piece? Unfortunately no sheath.

62 cm overall, the blade is 46 cm by about 4 cm.
Attached Images

Old 5th October 2023, 05:25 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

WW,

I would say this is a WWII era piece with a Visayan influence. The long "beak" of the kakatua is reminiscent of some of the Samar/Leyte hilts of that era with long downward projections that run parallel to the grip. The multifaceted grip and small brass ferrule are commonly seen on Tagalog/Ilokano pieces. So it looks like a mixture of styles to me. Not much to link it to a Moro origin apart from the very unusual kakatua pommel.

As to its place of origin, I would suggest Mindanao as a possible candidate. There are many residents of Visayan descent in Davao City, Zamboanga, and the northern part of the island, and Ilokanos are everywhere in the Philippines. Another possibility is Palawan, located close to the Visayas, with the southern half mainly Muslim and northern half of the island being strongly Tagalog.

As to what it might be called, I don't know. A barung variant type of blade, or keping, might apply if it were a Moro production. I look forward to hearing from our native Filipino members on this one. This could have been a custom made piece for a US serviceman.
Closed Thread