Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st June 2021, 02:25 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default KHANDA SWORD for COMMENT

Another recent auction purchase is this nice KHANDA sword in great condition.
As an opener describing the features of Khanda swords is a page from Tirri's book ISLAMIC WEAPONS.
You will see that my sword has 2 dots on the blade (same both sides). Are these makers marks?.....and if so does anyone know to whom they belong? Blade length 34".
Any and all comments welcome.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2021, 06:31 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

I cannot say anything about the markings on your khanda.
However, yours appears to be a very old one and I wouldn't be surprised if it has a wootz blade.
The examples in the book are much more recent, late 19th-early 20th century, made almost exclusively for the European market. Only the first one on the left may be older.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 03:30 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc View Post
I cannot say anything about the markings on your khanda.
However, yours appears to be a very old one and I wouldn't be surprised if it has a wootz blade.
The examples in the book are much more recent, late 19th-early 20th century, made almost exclusively for the European market. Only the first one on the left may be older.
t
Thank you Marius,
Yes I think it is most probably an older Khanda. As far as the blade being wootz, becauce it has an overall nice dark age patina I would not want to polish that and spoil it.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 08:01 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It seems with Indian swords there is a great deal of consternation concerning terminology. The khanda is indeed a very old Indian sword form, and the hilt on this one seems more to the 'old' style as the European influence brought about what became known as the 'Hindu basket hilt' in the 17th century.

I would think this one could easily be 18th century, despite the suggestion of more modern dates on many of these. As always, considering regional adherence to traditional form and style rather than a steady chronological development overall I think is best.

The 'Hindu basket hilt' types seem to most often fall into the 'firangi' category, which simply means 'with a foreign blade'.
These spatulate blades I have always regarded as 'pattisa' though clearly different writers seem to have different views on exactly what determines this classification.

As far as I have known, wootz seems to be primarily used in saber blades and varying forms of dagger and short swords. I had no idea this metal was used in khanda or pattisa blades.

The two dot situation is interesting, but I dont believe it is any sort of makers mark. There are often 'trimurti' (three dots) placed at what seem to be strategic locations on blades (usually tulwar), but blades other than elaborate Islamic ones as far as I know do not have makers marks.,
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2021, 06:50 AM   #5
mariusgmioc

Khanda swords with wootz blades are not uncommon.

One can see some on Oriental-Arms website.

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/photos.php?id=3351

Some were sold also by Auctions Imperial, some by Czerny's

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...n-khanda-sword

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...ury-provenance

But I agree that your example has a very nice age patina that is worth keeping.

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 7th June 2021 at 07:08 AM.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote