Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th July 2020, 06:32 PM   #1
AUhills79

Default My first antique blade, help with ID?

Hi all, I just recently acquired my first real antique blade and am hoping to find out more about it. Actually I don't even know whether to call it a "knife" or a "sword"? It has a 15 inch blade, and is 21 inches total in length. Perhaps a broken sword repurposed into a hunting knife? I've been doing some research myself but haven't come up with much and am admittedly no sword expert. I have been able to translate the Latin text on the blade although the symbols are still unknown. It has the same text and symbols on both sides of the blade except for a makers mark by the hilt on only one side.

On the blade:
"Me fecit Solingen"
"Nec Temere : Nec Timidi"
PLUS UNKNOWN SYMBOLS*
(Timidi should have been Timide in correct grammar)

This translates to:
"I was made in Solingen"
and the phrase,"Neither Rashly, Nor Timidly"
(Seems a more fitting phrase for a blade carried into battle than for a hunting knife.)

I purchased it from an antique dealer in Texas advertised as a 100-150 yr old hunting knife planning to carry with me on pheasant, raccoon, and hog hunts but haven't had a sheath made for it yet. A lot of times I hunt with antique 18-19th century flintlock and percussion sporting guns and wanted a period knife or hunting sword to carry as well. If I find out this is something with any real historic value though I might be hesitant to take it out hunting & camping with me.

I appreciate any input, thanks!
Peter S.
Attached Images

AUhills79 is offline   Reply With Quote