Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st March 2021, 09:10 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default BINAKUKO BOLO

Hi,

my 3rd blade for sharing.

The first picture shows a newly commissioned Antipolo binakuko (sinanbartolome). This is called the 'matandang binakuko'blade profile- meaning, the standard, old profile of this bolo type. Blade is 16 inches long.

The one at the botom is a newly-acquired 'matandang binakuko.' Blade is 12.5 inches long.

There is a maker mark on the blade, which, suggests that this blade was made by Mr. Catalino Cahanap- the one who taught bladesmithing to a renowned bladesmith, Ka Botog, and a Mr. Tokang Leis.

This piece of info was relayed to me by a bladesmith in Antipolo currently restoring this lovely bolo.

Enjoy,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yves,

Thanks for showing your Antipolo bolos. I have a smaller version with a nice horse head hilt carved from horn.

Ian.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 12:56 PM   #3
tanaruz

Default binakuko bolo

Hi,

lovely sinan-kabalyo(like a horse) piece. Do you know who the bladesmith is? If im not mistaken, he's from the area of Morong(?) in Rizal.

Regards

Yves
Old 31st March 2021, 04:38 PM   #4
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Yves,

Thanks for showing your Antipolo bolos. I have a smaller version with a nice horse head hilt carved from horn.

Ian.

Nice to see that guy again Ian!

I beieve it's from Binangonan, Rizal. My family lineage extends to that area, and I've seen blades with the same scabbard style as horsey there I used to own two blades that came from Binangonan too in the 70s...exact scabbard style.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 12:37 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi xas. Yep, still got him!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 03:14 AM   #6
tanaruz

Default binakuko bolo

Hi,

My father and I went to Morong days ago to pick up a bolo made by a local artisan there. Showed him the blade, which is supposedly, from Binangonan. Yes, that style is Binangonan -but we also forge the same style here.

Since Binangonan and Morong are adjacent to each other, it may not be a surprise that the same 'type' of blade is forged on either areas.

The only way, my artisan says, to determine where the blade is forged is to know the name of the bladesmith, hence, the provenance of the blade.

Rgds

Yves
Old 7th April 2021, 07:38 AM   #7
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz
Hi,

My father and I went to Morong days ago to pick up a bolo made by a local artisan there. Showed him the blade, which is supposedly, from Binangonan. Yes, that style is Binangonan -but we also forge the same style here.

Since Binangonan and Morong are adjacent to each other, it may not be a surprise that the same 'type' of blade is forged on either areas.

The only way, my artisan says, to determine where the blade is forged is to know the name of the bladesmith, hence, the provenance of the blade.

Rgds

Yves
Thanks for that info, interesting that Morong has the same style. Fortunately, I know the provenance of the blades- the former owner, and even the panday who had, sadly, already passed away.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote