Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th November 2016, 11:43 PM   #1
mankova

Lightbulb Yataghans:bibliography and identification

Hello and thank you for adding me to your forum

First i'd like to say sorry for my english.. hope you'll understand me

I am working on my masters thesis in Department of Restoration of Works of Art (Poland) and have 2 yataghans to work with. Unfortunatelly i found very few informations about techniques, workshops and other informations stricte about yataghans (online and in bibliotecs). If there's something, it's about Suleiman's yataghans or very general information about this kind of weapon.
I have few books and articles about weaponry, but about turkish weapon (especially yataghans: history, techniques, etc.) only 2 positions with some informations about yataghans.
I found "Turetskoe oruzhie" E.G. Astvatsaturian with online access, but i can't understand (even read) russian. This part about yataghans (26 pages) is in translation progress now, but still need some information from the rest of the book. There's english version of this book somewhere (someone from this forum wrote that and i believe it's true , but none of polish bibliotecs have it (i;m searching and searching without any effect). I found also no online access to this position

.....and that's why i'm here. For some time I read your forum and everything I can find here about yataghans. And I found conflicting informations- In the book 'Turetskoe oruzhie', author writes that the oldest known yataghan is the one of Suleiman the Magnificent dated 1526-27. Here i read about Bayezid II's yataghan from Qatar Museum of Islamic Arts dated 1460-61. Cannot find any confirmation. Could you help me please?
Do you know from where can i get this english version of the "Turkish Weapons from the Collection of the State Historical Museum"? Maybe someone of you know other good publications/books online in english (or spanish, polish)?

There are some pics of my "patients".

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

mankova is offline   Reply With Quote