Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 26th February 2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Anandalal N.

Default Cast Iron Technology

Tracing the course of cast iron cannons etc., I have come across the following item. This is a rough sketch of an item of cast iron from Ceylon. It is heavy and solid with the date 1636. Probably a finial from a gate or arch of some sort. The Portuguese were in control of the maritime areas of Ceylon until the last Portuguese Fortress was taken over by the Dutch in the 1650s. Although the Dutch were visiting the island from the early 1600s, they did not, according to available records, have a permanent presence until 1640.

Thus, in theory, the finial is likely to be Portuguese and not Dutch. But the accounts suggest that the Portuguese did not have cast iron technology during this period though it appears that they were in contact with Chinese technicians for the manufacture of cast iron cannon around the 1920s.

So, this is either Portuguese and the Portuguese had access to cast iron technology earlier than supposed or it is Dutch (the Dutch and the English had cast iron technology prior to the Portuguese) and the Dutch had at least a semi-permanent presence in Ceylon earlier than previously believed.

Any ideas? Michael and others? What does the shape of the cross and the frame suggest?

Regards.
Attached Images

Last edited by Anandalal N.; 26th February 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Anandalal N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Question Swap ???

Hi Anandalal,
Apparently cast iron was already introduced in Goa and from there to Macau, as soon as 1620-1630.
It was Captain General Dom Filipe Lobo (1626-1629) who first sent two Chinese smiths to Goa for the implementation of cast iron artillery technique.

But tell me; why did you swap the actual cast iron object for a rough sketch ?

Actualy when i first saw the actual finial (?) as you posted it, i was gonna ask you if it was genuine, in your opinion, but i notice that you took it away .

Last edited by fernando; 26th February 2011 at 07:26 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Also Captain General Dom Francisco Mascarenhas, in 13 October 1623 signed contract with two 'Chinas', gentiles from Cabello, called Quinquo e Hiaoxon, for the casting of cannons in the colony of Macau.
Such Sino-Portuguese workshop was long time directed directed by the famous Portuguese Bocarro family.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 02:47 AM   #4
Anandalal N.

Hi Fernando,

Thank you for your reply. Chase in 'Firearms - A Global History' says that the intention to carry out cast-iron manufacture in Goa was abandoned due to the expense of moving materials from China to India. So he says that Macau became the principle source of bronze and cast iron cannon for the Portuguese between Africa and Japan. So I am still stuck with finding out when when Goa started manufacturing Cast Iron cannon etc.?

Regards.
Anandalal N. is offline   Reply With Quote