Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st October 2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Ethiopian Shield #1

I would like your opinions on this Ethiopian shield. I am not familiar with this variety. Perhaps some of our Ethiopian members may have an opinion?
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Bill M

Bump
Old 1st October 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Martin Lubojacky

In literature they are described as Amaro/Ometto shields - that they were produced by this two groups and they used to be objects of trade. I was often told by locals, that the big ones, with big bumbs and cetral rib and egg - shaped (not circular like this, but very similar) were used by Gurage People.

Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Luc LEFEBVRE

Sorry, but I think it's a copy.
Luc
Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Bill M

Luc,

I really want to know truth as this is the only way we learn. I value your opinion, you have a depth of understanding, particularly about African weapons as do many of the other people on this forum.

Please state your frank opinions on these and any of the other pieces I post! It would help to also post any reasons you feel a certain way about a piece.

I want to learn!
Old 1st October 2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Luc LEFEBVRE

Compare the frontside with the pictures I sent, the vertical line (sort of radius), the number and regularity of the bump (ball ?, I don't know the right word).The metallic decoration are too much on this type of shield.
And the backside, it is regular, smooth, deep black, clean, shiny.
The work of the leather is like shoe's leather !
It is not logical.

I have had these kind of fake in hands, it's look really new, I'm even not sure that it is hippopotamus leather.
We learn every day, and the fakers are very intelligent...

The Amarro shields were used in the movie : Planet of the Apes

Luc
Old 1st October 2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

It may be a copy, but I would´t be so sure from this pictures. Black and smooth surface is normal in this cases, Ethiopian traders apply black polish even on old original patina, big bulbs use to be placed regularly - too...one should heve it in hands to decide. What is really a little bit strange and may speak for a copy is very sharp radius at the roots of bulbs and a bit wavy rim
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Luc LEFEBVRE

I think these pics can help to make the difference.
Luc
Attached Images

Old 1st October 2008, 05:47 PM   #9
colin henshaw

A number of these Southern Ethiopian shields appeared on the London market in the early 1990s, and they have featured in various gallery exhibitions. They are still to be found for sale around, and I have one myself. Many I know were polished up using I suppose oils and/or boot-polish, whether done in Europe or Africa I can't say.

The early examples seen did not have metal inlay as I remember, so maybe these are embellishments - not sure. My own opinion is that this one is not a fake, but might have been "fancied-up"

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

I can see and respect Luc's views. I would like to suggest that perhaps these are just late versions rather than fakes or copies. I would bet shields like these were worn in battle against the Italians in the 1930s and were probably still in isolated local use for tribal fighting untill the mid to late 20th century. One also has to bare in mind stick fighting sport and festivals, shields being part of the spectacle? Hippos hides may well have become a lot harder to aquire even in the early part of the 20th century, so perhaps cow hide was also used. Look at it this way the same skills are used. I must say the metal work is nice, a lot of work and fancy addition just to make a lesser copy?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 08:45 PM   #11
katana

Hi Bill,
I think I have to agree with Tim... rather than a 'copy', it is just of a more recent manufacture.....how recent? difficult to tell from pictures But leather does have a tendancy to look alot 'newer' with some 'leather feed' and a layer of polish.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote