Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th April 2024, 11:05 PM   #1
Peter Hudson

Regarding the Photographic examples shown on this thread are by far the finest I have seen on Forum to date...or on the rest of the web ....Can this technique be boiled down and reproduced...so that others can try to achieve such excellent results...Peter Hudson.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2024, 07:13 PM   #2
urbanspaceman

Default photography

Hi Peter. Regarding the quality photography: I’ve spent this last few years photographing objects to produce projections for my girlfriend’s lectures: anything from a Russian gas-mask to a Victorian baby’s feeding bottle.
However: first it has to be understood that grabbing a shot with your camera phone is simply not going to cut it, although the first image - of my Colt SAA – is perhaps a bit of a contradiction as I did use my phone.
So, the first pre-requisite is a good quality, high definition camera, as these French pistol images are pin sharp and highly detailed, and that also means the camera should be tripod mounted.
Second, the light source needs to be large and highly diffused. A bright, cloudy day through white vertical blinds is what I used for the Colt, but a white sheet over the window is the equivalent. I have not superimposed the image of the Colt onto a separate background; to do that we need:
thirdly, a unblemished pure white background. An A1 artist’s board is cheap and readily available, but if you are photographing a sword then it’s not big enough, so use a pure white, smooth sheet stretched (and pinned) on the floor in front of your window. You will need to have your camera elevated and steps to stand on to avoid shadows and in order to present the image without perspective aberation.
Remember, any image can be lit and photographed from any direction if you plan to cut and remove the background using Photoshop; just make sure it is totally illuminated and don’t cast any shadows or produce unlit areas. Look at these French pistols and you will see there are no shadows or excessive dark areas. Again, Photoshop can illuminate any shadows while retaining the average contrast.
In order to present the image (as these pistols have been) variously angled, you need to prop them accordingly. A bright white bean-bag is ideal, although variations on this theme are legion, such as props placed under the background sheet.
Finally, let Photoshop ‘cut and separate’ the item if you want to present it on an alternative background or re-position it.
You did ask!
Attached Images

urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2024, 09:54 PM   #3
Peter Hudson

Default Photographs.

Great Keith I will proceed with caution ... Hopefully I can get a few samples sorted and have Photoshop do the mathematics on superb backgrounds etc. Historical artistic backgrounds seems to be the way forward... I had immagined a square with further areas ...smaller squares insett into the background square... and the machine that fits the page together automatiucally sets it all up ..So that when you hit the fire button it all appears as if by magic on the page...Im full of great ideas ...ha...regards Peter.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote