Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd September 2023, 02:34 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Trade axe/tomahawk NE America 18th c.

This axe head is of the form (regarded as French in style) that Nuemann ("Swords and Blades of the American Revolution", 1973, example 89a, p.274) terms a 'ROUND POLL CAMP AXE'. It is 8.25" in height, 4" wide and weighs 1.9 lbs. with long flaring half axe blade.

The markings (not yet identified) are in the manner of most of these type axes termed 'hache de traite' , which loosely means 'trade hatchet' in French. It is probably blacksmith (ID pending) made in Canadian or American northeast regions (Quebec was one possibility) and possibly traded alongside the wares of the Hudson Bay Company.

These were used by frontiersmen, trappers, 'mountain men' throughout these regions and well into America,.....New York, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, where they were also well known in many American Indian tribes, particularly those of the Iroquois confederation.

Many of this form, but slightly smaller (of same weight) appear in Seneca grave sites in New York areas. The Seneca were the most warlike of the Iroquois tribes, and like most of these tribes, their most prized possessions were buried with them...these kinds of axes a most common case.

This particular axe I just located in Utah, and I am thinking if its provenance was local (it was from an individual who was not aware of details) it very likely came with Mormon settlers who of course originated in the regions previously noted, and were accompanied by frontiersmen.

I believe it is likely mid to third quarter 18th c. (there were changes in the eye shape etc c.1800) .
While this is an 'axe', which typically denotes a tool for utility, these were of course also used as weapons, and as per the term called in Indian parlance (loosely ) deemed a 'tomahawk as such. It should be noted that typically the tomahawk genre (pipe, spike, halberd etc) is commonly slightly smaller and lighter, but these and 'belt axes' varied widely in forms and size.

The term 'hatchet' was a broadly used term used collectively for axes and not distinctly applied. There are cases where these axes have been called 'squaw' axes ( the women typically gathered wood etc in Indian camps) but this term is highly frowned upon by Native Americans as the common use of these as weapons naturally would negate such term.

I wanted to share what I have discovered in research on this piece this week as these types of weapons are not often discussed here, and I am hoping to bring in others with like interests, and of course examples.
As always, I welcome comments and corrections (this area is new to me)!

I am also hoping that someone might have seen this apparently four petal flower (clover?) deeply stamped as a mark; and the deep initials LMVL on opposite face .
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2023, 07:57 AM   #2
M ELEY

Wow, Jim! This is an incredible early round poll axe, as you so mentioned. I've seen so many variations of the stamp on these and most are, to my understanding, lost to time. Contrary to some sources, although these were indeed traded to Native Americans, they were also used by the fur traders themselves as well as scouts, soldiers, frontiersmen, etc. These types preceded the later hammer polls and pipe tomahawks. They were absolutely used as both a tool and a weapon. Looking upon the early axe forms, one sees a familiar pattern of starting out as weapon, then weapon-tool and eventually tool only into the latter periods. Perhaps there is someone out there that recognizes this petal stamp? I'm not at home, but I'll try to look at some of my sources when I can.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 10:27 AM   #3
CutlassCollector

Nice axe Jim.

I have seen a boarding axe with a similar 4-leaf clover stamp said to be Irish in origin but have never been able to confirm that.

In Henry Kauffman's 'American Axes' he shows this example and states 'trade axe excavated in NY state and bearing the lobed mark found on a number of trade axes'. But there is no further information other than that.

I think that, if the maker was sophisticated enough to have a 'clover' stamp for repeated use, then he would also have had letter stamps or a name stamp. So the crude letters are probably added later and more likely indicate a personal possession.

Are there any signs of a seam in way or the blade within the eye that would indicate its construction?

It seems a little too even to be pure hand made so I'm thinking maybe early 19th when blacksmiths were using water or steam driven power hammers.
Attached Images

Last edited by CutlassCollector; 23rd September 2023 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 04:09 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you CC for the great input! It seems the clover notion is pretty viable and of course Irish association seems likely for obvious reasons. However the other option is the Dutch 'kleeblatt', which is a four leaf clover that seems to commonly occur on the quillon terminals of various swords. It has never been clear what this means, but it is a distinct consistency which seems to have been present in 17th into 18th c.

As the Dutch were of course prevalent in northeast America, especially New York, this presents interesting possibilities. As the profile of this axe head seems to be pretty well visually a match for the example in Nuemann and several other references as noted, that was pretty much my benchmark.
While the period broadly suggests 1700-1800 naturally those finite numbers are pretty negotiable, and your suggestion of early 19th seems of course pretty plausible.

As I note, Im pretty new to this field, so I cant speak with any particular authority, but as far as construction, in the top view a seam extends along the blade which I thought would concur with the fold over construction method. I had thought the type of power hammers you describe were as early as 17th c. and were well known in Solingen, but not sure how much in use in the colonies as yet pretty remote.

The crudely applied letters, personal initials were typically two, or at best three....but four...I thought must be an acronym for some organization or firm. Whatever the case, the configuration in placement seems correct for the practice.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 11:31 PM   #5
M ELEY

Hello folks! I was looking at H & K's tomahawk book and did see an early Dutch example with a 'flower' marking, but it had 7 petals. Still very similar...

CC, you bring up a good point as to this possibly being an early triphammer cast head as the lines are so clean. In the early 19th, these patterns were still being used and being that Jim picked it up west of the Rockies, this was exactly when the fur trade went into high gear after the Louisiana Purchase. The Astoria Fur Company and Manuel Lisa's Missouri Fur Trade Company were vying
for the trade at this time. If only this piece could talk, imagine the stories!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2023, 01:12 AM   #6
werecow

Interesting that you mention the Dutch Jim; my mind went to the Dutch Walloon swords.

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote