Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st June 2023, 05:46 AM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Gavin, I threw that out there mainly because the profile was similar to the knife that Fernando has shown. The length is about the same, the scales are wood and are certainly thicker than the subject example. The knife I posted is a Dexter, probably late 19century made in my home state.
Fernando's example appears to have metal scales (or are they integral) which makes for a much thinner handle, and probably makes it more awkward to use for cutting but the blade profile seems more like a butcher/fish cutter's knife. I searched ebay for fish cutting and butcher's knives and I found that the modern Dexter knives have a textured handle, but for the most part none of them seemed to have a thickening or knob at the end.
Fernando, is the tip of this knife thicker than the rest of the blade?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2023, 12:50 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
... Fernando's example appears to have metal scales (or are they integral) which makes for a much thinner handle ...
Integral steeel handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
...Fernando, is the tip of this knife thicker than the rest of the blade?
No; same thickness as that of the forte.

Hereunder some more specs.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:27 AM   #3
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Integral steeel handle.

No; same thickness as that of the forte.

Hereunder some more specs.

it is very large for a throwing knife but its charachteristics and shape are quite correct for it to be a good throwing knife. can you show a view fomr the spine showing the blade taper?

i wounder how far back trick throwing of decdicate throwing knives goes in europe?
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2023, 01:17 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausjulius View Post
it is very large for a throwing knife but its charachteristics and shape are quite correct for it to be a good throwing knife. can you show a view fomr the spine showing the blade taper?

i wonder how far back trick throwing of decdicate throwing knives goes in europe?
If i understand you correctly, it's a hell of a task to photograph the blade spine ... at least for me . But i can tell you that there is a sharp cutting edge, going sharper all the way since the forte to its tip, and a back (upper) side, slightly tapering from the blunt forte to its curved tip, and from there as sharp as the cutting edge. This of course calls for the machete (like) type and not for a throwing device.

´

Last edited by fernando; 23rd June 2023 at 02:30 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote