Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th November 2008, 02:58 AM   #1
clockwork

Default Looking to maybe purchase

This blade. any thoughts and comments would be a great help. There is some damage to it but minor on the lower guard.
Attached Images

clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 03:00 AM   #2
clockwork

the Lion head does have some movement in it. and does not come with a sheath. But over all looks to be in good shape except damage noted above. the top line on the back says "a hunter has always desire" cant see the bottom line that well.
Old 18th November 2008, 03:17 AM   #3
clockwork

I believe the whole thing says "Ein Jäger hat allzeit Verlangen mit wenig Mühe viel zu fangen" which translates to " a hunter always has need/desire to catch alot with little effort"
Old 18th November 2008, 03:22 AM   #4
M ELEY

It seems like a pretty decent early-mod 19th century hirschfanger. The etching of the deer/elk appears a little primitive, but not unheard of on these style blades. It seems like there's frequently damage to the disc guards on these things, which makes no sense to me because their purpose was to protect the hand from fierce game (such as a wounded boor) "riding up" the blade to attack the welder's arm, yet so many seem to break over time. I assume the more ornamental pieces in particular don't hold up, but yours seems like a pretty stout example. How does the end of the blade look?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 03:27 AM   #5
M ELEY

Hmmm, in looking back over your pics, I see that you were not talking about the guard itself, but the flange at the bottom that was made to go over the mouth of the scabbard to keep rain and dirt out. (should have paid more attention! Sorry! ) Likewise, this thin metal often go bumped and bent over time (even more so than the guard). I have one with the same type of damage...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 03:32 AM   #6
clockwork

over all the blade looked good my batterie ran out other wise would have taken more pics. the only damage was what I noted and the lions head was loose. It did appear that the blade might have had a slight bend near about 3 or 4 inchs from the tip.