Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th May 2010, 09:44 PM   #1
lindylars

Default Opinions on a couple of jambiya

Hello to all - this is my first post on the forums. I recently came across a couple of jambiya and some online research pointed towards these forums for some educated responses in this area so here I am.

As mentioned I came across a couple of these and would like to solicit some unbiased and upfront opinions about them before I disclose anything that I was told by the sellers. I'd like to hear about origins, pros and cons, etc.

If you want to quote what your opinion of value is please send those to me via email or PM.

I have posted some reduced-size images at this URL: http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/o...ylars/Jambiya/

Here's a teaser thumbnail:

I can share higher resolution images if required or take some additional detailed photos if you deem necessary. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Sincerely,
Ron Larson
lindylars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Ron
Welcome to the forum. The jambiya shown are from Yemen and were probably made in Sana'a. They are recently made 1980s-present and are nice examples of average to a bit above average quality. The hilts are cow or buffalo horn. I saw similar ones being offered on ebay a few months ago that were being sold by Yemeni dealer.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Nathaniel

Welcome to the forum Ron. You are in the right place. The forum is a great resource. If you post it here is someone on the forum who can fill in the blanks.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 02:57 AM   #4
lindylars

Thank you LOUIEBLADES and Nathaniel.

So does anyone have an opinion on the metalwork on the scabbard/tip? Is that also recent work or did folks recycle parts as they made repairs and updates?

If I were to go to Sana'a today, would examples along these lines be relatively common/easy to find?

Also has anyone heard of Yemeni customs blocking certain examples of jambiya from being carried out or exported? Please don't misunderstand these last couple of questions, I'm not in the import/export business of items - just trying to validate some of the things I've heard recently from various sources.

Best to all,
Ron
Old 20th May 2010, 05:48 AM   #5
Devadatta

However the scabbard are of a souvenir-kind, people don't wear in Yemen scabbard of this particular style. They should have a loop at the backside to hang them on a wall.

A one on the left shall reproduce Gusbi style of southern Hadramaut, the right one is called Tuza and jambiya of alike style was historically worn by nobles, judges, etc.

And one more of the same pattern shall reproduce a one worn by tribesmen and ordinary civilians

But again my opinion is that all three jambiya's scabbard are souvenir, while the blades are just the same as worn by yemeni men.

Sorry for my english, long time no practice

Last edited by Devadatta; 20th May 2010 at 06:14 AM.
Devadatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 08:42 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Welcome to the Forum.
I have to agree with other replies that these appear to be souvenir or tourist items. There are and have been a number of these for sale on Ebay. Attached is a pic I came across of heaps of these in a shop somewhere.
Regards Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Devadatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylars
Also has anyone heard of Yemeni customs blocking certain examples of jambiya from being carried out or exported? Please don't misunderstand these last couple of questions, I'm not in the import/export business of items - just trying to validate some of the things I've heard recently from various sources.

Best to all,
Ron
Ron,

I was in Yemen last year. There are no problems of taking away a newly-made or vintage jambiya, however they prohibit export of antique pieces.

I took five jambiya with me and they didn't care - however, they made me expose my bag because detector showed a jewerly which seemed to be old. They have a kind of expert right in the airport, but when they showed my jewerly to him he was busy speaking a phone so they just let me go.

In Sana'a there are a lot of jambiyas everywhere, but especially at the souq. They're being made right there and sold, and scabbard and belts as well. But you need to look carefully and buy the same as people are actually wearing, otherwise you can get a bazaar piece.

Here some my jambiya I bought

And here you can find my small report

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10873

These types of scabbard are most popular in Sana'a nowadays

Old 20th May 2010, 06:08 PM   #8
lindylars

Default Thanks to all!

Hello Devadatta and Stu - thank you both for your input. Everyone's input has set my mind at ease about what these pieces are and what they aren't.

Devadatta - thank you also for the link to your nice summary on your visit to Yemen last year. Hopefully I'll be able to swing through there at some point and have the opportunity to look at these items in person....would it be possible for you to post another closeup of the blades so that they show the patterning/finish of the metal?

Did you notice any difference in the blades between what would be classified as "good steel" vs some of the soft iron fakes that I have heard about? If anyone else has some detailed photos showing the differences please post or point assuming this was already covered somewhere (apologies if I skipped over while searching).

Finally what is the construction of the newer/currently popular scabbards?

Thanks again,
Ron
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Devadatta

OK so here are some closups of the blade -

And yes I mentioned the difference - the better blades are forged and consist of one piese, cheapest ones are machine-made from 2 pieces of steel-sheet pressed together, they are completely junk actually.

Mine are forged from 1 piece

Scabbards are made from 2 parts of wood connected together and wrapped with a piece of leather, also the leather can be wrapped with leather cord which goes through holes in leather of the scabbard

And the loop at the side of scabbard at photo 2 in this post is used to carry a pencil. So the tradition meets the practical usage.

Last edited by Devadatta; 23rd May 2010 at 10:58 PM.