Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2017, 09:01 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Concho Pawn Belt; Mexican or Indian ?

I just picked this belt up and I was told that it was a Mexican Concho Pawn Belt, however upon looking inside the buckle, the motifs struck me to be Indian.I've seen(or so I imagine), these symbols before; maybe Zuni ?
Any help would be appreciated .
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 03:44 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Probably Navajo, and 'old pawn' refers to the very heavy silver in old Navajo work which was actually worn, then pawned for money generations ago. These symbols are probably bear, sun and rain symbols or variations thereof and copied intertribally in crafts.
There are reproductions of these kinds of belts, usually the authentic Morgan silver dollars were melted down for jewellery, and cast examples are known on many of these. The wear on these seems pretty compelling.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 05:09 AM   #3
drac2k

Thanks for your post, especially since you have extensive knowledge of this region.I don't know if you can tell by the pictures, but each coin is hammered into a convex shield.
I guessed Zuni because of the figure next to the "L," on the interior of the buckle, which is their Sun figure.The top lines representing winter, spring, summer, and fall; those on the left are dawn, daylight, dusk, and dawn; those on the bottom are for north, south, east, and west; lastly those on the right are for infancy, youth, adulthood, and old age.
Old 23rd January 2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Terry K

Whatever tribe made it it's very nice and looks old to me.(1920's)?
Terry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 05:11 PM   #5
drac2k

Thanks.As to the age, I'm not sure either ; it could be the 20's or 30's or the 50's,60's, or 70's .