Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th July 2020, 11:34 AM   #1
gp

Default request for advice: to clean or not to clean?

Should I leave the blade as it is or should I try to clean it ?
Why I ask:
I am afraid of damaging or even removing the yellow coloured ( gold painted?) curved stripe...
Thank you for your advice ! Highly appreciated
Attached Images

gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Sajen

Hi Gunar,

It look like an Algerian knife (razor?). And yes, please clean the blade and polish up a little bit (not too much) the brass handle. Don't worry, the brass inlay is deep enough so there is no danger to remove it.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2020, 12:59 PM   #3
gp

Thnx a lot ! I have been told origin to be central Asia.
It's total lenght is 28 cm , unfortunately no scabbard
Old 13th July 2020, 04:45 PM   #4
mariusgmioc

Hello GP,

Nice knife!

While I do not know this particular type of knife, the style and decorations seem typical Algerian to me as well. I have a couple of Flyssa swords with similar decorations.

The golden decoration is most likely some bras inlay.

I would also recommend moderate cleaning/polishing. The inlay should not be damaged if polished gently with grit 1500 (or just with polishing paste).

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 13th July 2020 at 04:55 PM.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2020, 04:55 PM   #5
gp

Thnx a lot gents for the cleaningtips and the determination of its origin !
Old 13th July 2020, 06:31 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As Detlef and Marius have indicated, this is very much Saharan, probably Algerian, and seems related to the bou saadi knives but the motif as also noted of the 'flyssa' variety. There are as might be expected, considerable variations of these Saharan edged weapons, and this appears 19th c. into early 20th. Its always hard to say as these traditional weapons remained in use for generations in these tribes.

The motif is related to the type seen on the flyssa, which seem to have a combination of linear talismanic oriented theme along with often somewhat personalized devices.

I would as always recommend restraint, stabilize any corrosion but try to keep as much patina as possible (personal taste).
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2020, 01:26 PM   #7
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
As Detlef and Marius have indicated, this is very much Saharan, probably Algerian, and seems related to the bou saadi knives but the motif as also noted of the 'flyssa' variety. There are as might be expected, considerable variations of these Saharan edged weapons, and this appears 19th c. into early 20th. Its always hard to say as these traditional weapons remained in use for generations in these tribes.

The motif is related to the type seen on the flyssa, which seem to have a combination of linear talismanic oriented theme along with often somewhat personalized devices.

I would as always recommend restraint, stabilize any corrosion but try to keep as much patina as possible (personal taste).
Much obliged for your feedback! From antiques and numismatic point of view I fully support your taste, leaving patina as is and only “ addressing” the corrosion ( damage control ) .
Time for me to atudy the flyssa as this is terra incognito for me....
So thnx again !