Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st April 2018, 05:33 PM   #1
CNK1

Default Dart quiver

Hello friends,

after some times without posting, due to the word, I'm back with my last flea market find.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think about a Dayak dart quiver from Broneo, maybe early 20th century.

The body (lower parts) is a bamboo stick covered with braided rattan bands, the head (upper parts) is only made with braided rattan bands. I think the wood belt attachement is missing but anyone knows if this type of quiver was using "dorsal sling" ?

Just happy to come back and share it with you !

Best regards,
Clément
Attached Images

CNK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 06:00 PM   #2
Jon MB

Very interesting, jolie trouvaille.
Treat darts with caution.

http://nomadicpixel.com/wp-content/u...-in-Borneo.pdf
Jon MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Athanase

For me the arrows in the quiver are not made for a blowgun but for a crossbow and look very much like the arrows of crossbows from "Montagnards" or "Moï people" ( = all tribe from the central hightland of Vietnam ).
On this link you can see many crossbows and some bamboo quivers.

http://www.croiseur-lamotte-picquet.....php?page=mois
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Jon MB

Ah yes, like the pic at the end of the series..
Attached Images

Jon MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 09:19 PM   #5
CNK1

Good evening friends,

I think that you are right Athanase ! Definitely impossible to use this type of arrow with a blowgun. I just remember that my uncle gave me this type of crossbow after the succession of my grand-parents.

Just leave me a little time to take pictures of it, surely more interesting than words for describing it !

Thank's for the picts, really interesting and nice. I just note the major difference is the upper parts of the quiver, Moï people don't seem to have it in any pictures ?

Jon, this is the first thing I've checked !
Old 21st April 2018, 10:19 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello Clément,

it's for sure not a Dayak dart quiver (tolor), they look very different. Please post a picture from one of the darts, this will help to determine the origin of your quiver. But your quiver shows a very good age from years of handling. Nice piece.
Here an interesting thread about dart quivers: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=tolor

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 05:50 AM   #7
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Clément,

it's for sure not a Dayak dart quiver (tolor), they look very different. Please post a picture from one of the darts, this will help to determine the origin of your quiver. But your quiver shows a very good age from years of handling. Nice piece.
Here an interesting thread about dart quivers: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=tolor

Regards,
Detlef
yeah its from vietnam or china , its for a local type of low powered crossbow with a peg trigger... in china these are still commonly used to hunt and the meo have target competitions with them as well.
made by mong, meo or other people from that broad ethno group.
i always though these would be poisoned.
but it appears they are not.. they seem to use them to hunt very small game. mostly bats, rats, cats, civet and various asian squirrels.

there is some god youtube videos showing people shooting these in both china and vietnam and it appear the universally do not nock the arrow to the string like european crossbows but instead have the arrow about 3 inches from the string and the string will strike the arrow after some travel.. the strings are hard material , ive seen them made from a strip of bamboo.. in the manner the papuan natives make their bow strings
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:16 AM   #8
CNK1

Hello,

@ Detlef, this one is for sure old but still strong and flexible, I have seen this topic about the quiver but at this time the only major difference I have noted was the absence of the wood belt attachement !

@ Ausjulius, your description is exactly what I have at home, a really tiny crossbow ! I just ask to my dad where did it come from and he think (not 100% sure) Thailand or Vietnam (formerly Indochina) or maybe Indonesia.

I'll take some picts of quiver's arrow and the crossbow too !

Best regards