Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2023, 10:24 PM   #1
Bryce

G'day Jack,
I think your sword is probably older than 1792. There were several Drurys and I would place yours closer to 1780 than 1790. It looks like an infantry officer's hanger of the type that would normally have a lion head. I wonder if it has been regripped and the eagle head added later on? The blade certainly looks older.
Cheers,
Bryce
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 08:10 PM   #2
JT88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
G'day Jack,
I think your sword is probably older than 1792.
Hi Bryce,
Thanks for the post. I've found no other Drury's specifically in the timeframe he had the status of "Cutler to his majesty" and in the Strand location.

I agree the style is of earlier infantry hangers, but as pointed out, by the 1790s, these had gone out of style, and the infantry were under regulation.

The peen is old, and the gilt uniform in the few places it is not worn. This sword has seen some heavy wear to the gilt. So I'd call it a period composite.

My naval hypothesis only derives from the period it comes from, as naval officer swords were still not under regulation. Some officers did have cutlasses made, although not common. The eagle head is a bit of a scratcher; while not common in the Royal Navy at this point, it is still possible. Or perhaps a US Naval officer had a British sword made? Possible. Everyone seems to conclude it is a Thurkle-made eagle head.

We can only point to specific pieces of this sword and give date ranges. The rest is all conjecture. The blade is excellent; it reminds me of the French "Sartine" style cutlasses. It was attained out of France, not that means anything.

Cheers

Edit: the blade is incredible, the entire reason I purchased it.
JT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2024, 01:05 AM   #3
Bryce

G'day Guys,
A similar sword to the one that opened this thread has popped up at an auction. Although it has been heavily restored, and has a replacement blade, it does show what my hilt would have looked like when complete.
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2024, 06:13 AM   #4
Hotspur

Another knock out there Bryce.

One for the party I may have posted before. I watched it through a couple of owners. A mullet/diamond for Jim

A plainer urn but upscale.
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote