Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th December 2023, 07:28 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default PIRA

Hello Friends,

A gift from my father. Said to be one of the rarest form of the Moro pira/swords.

The horn hilt- in the shape of a cockatoo's head(pommel) with a long pommel
extension. (brass ferrule).

Scabbard: the upper part which forms as a lock(see pic). With some engravings and made of wood (unknown).

OAL: 37.25" (to the tip of the elongated pommel)/ Blade: 19.25"

My father said that it took him 47 years to find one in this form.

A very Merry Christmas to all!

Salud,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 12:45 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yves,

I'm not sure whether you are saying that pira are rare or the hilt style on this particular example is rare. I have a few pira and some seem to have a similar hilt style as yours. They are shown here with some other swords in my collection that are not relevant to this discussion--these are just some pictures that I had on hand.

Ian.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 02:22 AM   #3
tanaruz

Default Pira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yves,

I'm not sure whether you are saying that pira are rare or the hilt style on this particular example is rare. I have a few pira and some seem to have a similar hilt style as yours. They are shown here with some other swords in my collection that are not relevant to this discussion--these are just some pictures that I had on hand.

Ian.

Hi,

I mean the hilt form/style. My father said that somewhere he read that this form/style(hilt) is the rarest. Well it took him awhile to get one. And he has been collecting Moro swords since 1976 (and my grandfather, who was in the US Army WW2, since 1946).

Regards

Yves
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 06:13 AM   #4
chmorshuutz

I guess I agree on the hilt being rare, among recent samples, you will almost never see any pira that still has this type of hilt.
chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 11:25 AM   #5
xasterix

Hello,

What you have there is a 1920s or later Maranao rendition of the Yakan pira. The hilt is Maranao-made, same with the blade. The blade doesn't have distinct signatures of the original pre-1900 Yakan version (no delineated square/rectangular ricasso before the edge curves down, among other indicators). Furthermore, the hilt extension of your sample is already positioned in a way that it can be struck without the extension getting in the way of the wielding hand (the original pira has this distinct problem/feature).

The Maranao copied the pre-1900 version, along with other Moro blades such as barung, because these were popular among American GIs.

Hope that info helps!
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 12:41 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Xas,

Good to hear from you on the subject of pira. Interesting that the Maranao chose to produce "tourist" versions for American servicemen. I think my examples fall into the same category.

The relationship between the U.S. military and the Maranao people was rather tense at times IIRC. For example, the U.S. punishment expeditions led by Pershing in the early 1900s were unfriendly engagements with the Maranao. So I'm a bit surprised that the Maranao were trading with U.S. servicemen a decade or two later. Also, IIRC, most of the U.S. military on Mindanao were located in and around Reina Regente, close to the HQ of Datu Piang in Cotobato during the period 1901–1925. Perhaps trade with the Maranao picked up closer to WWII and after.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 07:04 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Here is a Pira that went to Macao and is in the History of Steel catalogue.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2023, 12:40 AM   #8
werecow

Does the pommel stalk have a function (hooking maybe?) or is it decorative?
werecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2023, 02:02 AM   #9
kai

Quote:
Does the pommel stalk have a function (hooking maybe?) or is it decorative?
The common story is that the extension helps to protect the wrist (i.e. lower arm). Would be great to get more info from inside the Yakan culture...

Obviously, the modern pommel versions tend to be exaggerated and non-functional.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2023, 02:16 AM   #10
kai

Smile

Here are some more threads:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26922
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26593
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2023, 06:30 PM   #11
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
The common story is that the extension helps to protect the wrist (i.e. lower arm). Would be great to get more info from inside the Yakan culture...

Obviously, the modern pommel versions tend to be exaggerated and non-functional.

Regards,
Kai
Interesting. I have noticed that with the kakatua pommel on my kalis that it prevents the wrist from overextending as I have attempted to show below using my amazing paint skills. Could that also be part of it?
Attached Images

werecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2023, 07:12 PM   #12
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Hello,

What you have there is a 1920s or later Maranao rendition of the Yakan pira. The hilt is Maranao-made, same with the blade. The blade doesn't have distinct signatures of the original pre-1900 Yakan version (no delineated square/rectangular ricasso before the edge curves down, among other indicators). Furthermore, the hilt extension of your sample is already positioned in a way that it can be struck without the extension getting in the way of the wielding hand (the original pira has this distinct problem/feature).
I found this as collateral knowledge while researching another topic. To my eye at least one doesn't have the squared ricasso. I thought this was interesting. Are these Maranao piras as well?
Attached Images

Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2023, 11:20 AM   #13
Sajen

Here again my example.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2023, 11:29 AM   #14
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
I found this as collateral knowledge while researching another topic. To my eye at least one doesn't have the squared ricasso. I thought this was interesting. Are these Maranao piras as well?
Sorry if I was unclear: it doesn't strictly have to be squared. Square-ish, or at the very least distinctly delineated from the edge (sometimes a line or a 'dimple') that begins to curve after.

That's only one indicator on the blade...there are others such as the orientation of the clip and tip as compared to the hilt axis and "tail," the curve trajectory of the edge, and if viewed from top, telltale signs from the spine.

There is no such thing as a Maranao pira. Pira is a Sulu blade, among others, that was copied by Tugaya craftsmen starting 1920s until the 1990s. They also copied other blades such as Lumad, and even from Luzon and Visayan areas; sometimes they re-dressed legit Luzon and Visayan blades with fantastic dresses to make them 'exotic' to tourist eyes.

I've personally taken apart a wide range of old Tugaya tourist products and I can assure you, most of them have no heat treatment or made of inferior metal and materials. Some even have nonexistent tangs and are just glued to the hilt cleverly.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2023, 12:39 AM   #15
SanibelSwassa

Here’s an older Pira that I got from a seller on eBay when I first started collecting.

This post actually had me think about doing a blade cleaning and etching to see what might be in the blade. Will post when I get done with the process.
Attached Images

SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote