Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th February 2024, 05:59 PM   #1
cornelistromp

Hi Andreas,
as a type this would be an Okeshott type Xa from around 1050-1100. after 900 years the oxidation of the sword looks very even over the entire surface. It is possible after 900 years but is almost unheard of, or at least so rare that it could be an omen.
After 2000, tens of thousands of most medieval sword forgeries were made, so it helps if the sword can be proven before 2000. So not through a story alone.
In any case I would try to find the previous owner or finder.
A medieval sword doesn't pop out of nowhere.
The black patina in water finds is goethite, which is glass hard and difficult to remove, even mechanically.
You could have the patina tested for hardness and chemically with, for example, acetone or other chemical solvent. If it gives off black, it is a recently applied patina.
The style is good but the tang is a bit slim under the pommel for this type with a heavy blade.
water finds from this period are included in the appendix.
I hope it will help you, good luck
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2024, 12:49 PM   #2
werecow

That looks familiar... Is that the current exhibit in the Leiden Oudheden museum?
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2024, 12:56 PM   #3
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
That looks familiar... Is that the current exhibit in the Leiden Oudheden museum?
a very nice exhibition!
Old 7th February 2024, 01:06 PM   #4
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp View Post
a very nice exhibition!
Indeed! Down the road from me. I've been meaning to go back for another viewing.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2024, 01:20 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I thought those belonged in Jasper's collection !
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2024, 04:03 PM   #6
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
I thought those belonged in Jasper's collection !
That would indeed have been possible, usually I only post my own collection pieces of content.

These pieces all date from around the year 1000 and were all found in Dutch soil-rivers, housed in various Dutch museums but brought together for the temporary exhibition in Leiden
Old 7th February 2024, 06:01 PM   #7
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp View Post
a very nice exhibition!
If only I were close enough to visit... I recognize several of the pieces, but not the large brazil-nut pommel in the foreground. It appears to have an inscription, and the label suggests it is a name? Grateful for any more details on this one (and apologies for being off-topic).

Mark
Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2024, 09:33 PM   #8
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reventlov View Post
If only I were close enough to visit... I recognize several of the pieces, but not the large brazil-nut pommel in the foreground. It appears to have an inscription, and the label suggests it is a name? Grateful for any more details on this one (and apologies for being off-topic).

Mark
HI Mark, the one with huge pommel has an Vlfberht inscription. the others also have interesting inscriptions. I will forward you the pics I made via messenger.

best
Old 7th February 2024, 10:22 PM   #9
AHorsa

Dear All,

thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and your thoughts! Regarding the described possibilites by Lee to somehow determine in a scientific way: I would have access to an x-ray, but it is made for humans. As far as I know the power might be too low. I will check possibilities for a material analysis.

Quote:
In any case I would try to find the previous owner or finder.
A medieval sword doesn't pop out of nowhere.
The sword was found 1977 by some workers in a river in the former GDR. A communal building officer, who was a collector, bought it from them and cleaned it. A friend of mine knew this this guy since childhood and bought the sword from him over ten years ago. That is the story but it is not possible to talk to the building officer anymore as he moved to another country and meanwhile he might have already passed away.

Quote:
The black patina in water finds is goethite, which is glass hard and difficult to remove, even mechanically.
You could have the patina tested for hardness and chemically with, for example, acetone or other chemical solvent. If it gives off black, it is a recently applied patina.
The patina is resistant to solvent chemicals. But it is not super hard. I compared it to the remaining patina of my sword fragment (an archeolocial documented river find - http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21669) and it behaves pretty much indentical. It also looks very much the same. The patina in my eyes is surely not artificially added. But I donīt know if there are methods to get metal rapidly aged and patinated in a natural way?

Iīd like to draw your attention to this "chip" mentioned by Teisani in the first reply. as explained this chip is undermined by black oxidation and sticks out. I tried to catch it in a better image and did a small drawing In my eyes this could not only be an indicator for folded steel, but also for some age. But I might be wrong.

The outer edge of the crossguard wasnīt cleaned propper and remains some brownish-orange adhesion. To me it looks very much like what I know from metal found in a river (I do often search the Rhine for relics when it has low water )

I added some more pictures that hopefully gives a better image of the oxidation / patina.

Regarding the condition: I think it very much depends on the composition of the water (content of oxygen, soil composition etc) as well as when the sword has fallen into it. There is this drawing from Albrecht Durer 1497, showing a person wearing a much older sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...28&postcount=6). I think swords where used for a very long time.

here are two examples from the Wallace Collection, where it seems to me the patination is similar:

https://wallacelive.wallacecollectio...p=F&sp=T&sp=94

https://wallacelive.wallacecollectio...lBlockKey&sp=0

Kind regards
Andreas
Attached Images

Last edited by AHorsa; 7th February 2024 at 11:14 PM.
AHorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2024, 10:30 PM   #10
AHorsa

Here is a sword with a similar patination. Sadly there is no background information on it:
Attached Images

AHorsa is offline   Reply With Quote