Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2023, 03:17 PM   #1
JoeCanada42

I recently cleaned a Mandau, and it came out very nice, maybe it was varnished of some sort in the past. I have read that once a year ceremonialy the blade was coated with oils etc. likely that ritual was also for reasons to protect the blade
JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 10:37 PM   #2
asomotif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCanada42 View Post
I recently cleaned a Mandau, and it came out very nice, maybe it was varnished of some sort in the past. I have read that once a year ceremonialy the blade was coated with oils etc. likely that ritual was also for reasons to protect the blade
Hello Joe, where did you read this ?
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 10:46 PM   #3
JoeCanada42

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif View Post
possibly on this forum, or one of a few other websites I checked out recently.
I am Shure I read about it. something along the lines of the same time every year, almost like a holiday everyone does it. think I also heard it mentioned on Youtube... and just today actually on another sword forum I read someone talk about the sword receiving the incense and oil treatment.
Old 25th February 2023, 10:53 PM   #4
kai

Hello Joe,

Sounds like people are mixing things up - some just confuse islands and stuff...

And the quenching treatment with clay-covered blades is most famously known from Japan. I don't think this is documented from anywhere on Borneo...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2023, 01:58 PM   #5
milandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCanada42 View Post
... and just today actually on another sword forum I read someone talk about the sword receiving the incense and oil treatment.
Blades from Indonesia MAY be treated with incense ( as a part of a ritual, incense is thought the world , frankincense is after all a form of it, used to carry an offer to the heavens) and then treated with perfumed oils, the oil of course served the purpose to keep the blade from rusting AND the addition of a fragrance is another form of offering to the powers beyond human.

More worldly form is to treat the blades with things like Balistol or Singer sewing machine oil (with or without a scent).
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 10:51 PM   #6
JoeCanada42

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif View Post
"likely that ritual was also for reasons to protect the blade"

this I did not read or hear, this i am saying, maybe, like years upon year of dried oil could work as a laquer,

I remember it was done to keep the spirits in the blade appeased maybe, something along the lines of need to keep the sword happy or it loses it magic power, apparently they point the swords at the ground before enactment fighting to nullify the magic.