Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2024, 11:20 AM   #1
Pertinax

Default Need help identifying the mark

Swedish saber/broadsword of an infantry officer from the second half of the 19th century. A special feature of this sword is a whistle under the guard. There is a mark on the butt of the blade. My attempts to identify the mark have so far been unsuccessful. I would be glad and grateful for any help, thanks in advance.

Regards, Yuri.
Attached Images

Pertinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2024, 09:43 PM   #2
Victrix

Nice sword! Unfortunately I don’t recognize the mark. It looks like it may have been scratched in by the owner? It may be a house mark with which Scandinavian and Germanic people marked their property. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_mark. But this is just speculation on my side.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2024, 11:19 PM   #3
Pertinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
Nice sword! Unfortunately I don’t recognize the mark. It looks like it may have been scratched in by the owner? It may be a house mark with which Scandinavian and Germanic people marked their property. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_mark. But this is just speculation on my side.
Thanks, Victrix

But I think that this is not a runes, but a poorly pierced stamp or monogram.

For example this:
Attached Images

Old 18th March 2024, 05:52 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good catch Victrix! The structure of this marking is very much like those seen among the marks typically attributed to Passau makers, which unfortunately are mostly unidentified and of the latter 16th century. These devices are somewhat similar in convention in having 'arms' in various configuration (Kinman, 2015) much like the familiar 'anchor' markings from Spanish sword blade motif then copied in Solingen.

These often have subtle variations in similar fashion in the cross bars.

Without going into the complicated analysis of developing of arms markings, and noting the excellent parallels noted by Victrix in these 'house markings' which seem inextricably linked, I think we can presume this to be some sort of commemorative application.

It is crudely applied in comparison of course to the characteristically applied acid etched motif in accord with latter 19th century military dress swords, so very much out of context.

I must admit, the choice of one of these mysterious (because few are singularly identified) markings on a late period military sword is most unusual, and might have some association with a military fraternal organization or something in those areas. Perhaps in the Masonic type genre.? With these the use of very early symbolism is often favored.
Just thinkin' outside the box I guess.

The idea of it being a monogram as described is very plausible as well, if the top parts of the letters are in fact missing...it would take more forensic analysis to determine that.

Whatever the case, a beautiful sword! we dont see a lot of Scandinavian swords here!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2024, 08:30 PM   #5
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertinax View Post
Thanks, Victrix

But I think that this is not a runes, but a poorly pierced stamp or monogram.

For example this:
It doesn’t have to be runic. It can be a specially designed monogram, like you suggested.
Old 18th March 2024, 10:00 PM   #6
Pertinax

Thanks, Victrix and Jim McDougall

I have beautiful Scandinavian swords in my collection; if possible, I will show them.

Regards, Yuri
Old 28th March 2024, 11:39 PM   #7
Victrix

Quote:
Thanks, Victrix and Jim McDougall

I have beautiful Scandinavian swords in my collection; if possible, I will show them.

Regards, Yuri
I like the detail with the whistle. Don’t have any like that in my collection.
Old 29th March 2024, 12:20 AM   #8
Pertinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
I like the detail with the whistle. Don’t have any like that in my collection.
Hello Victrix

I believe that this sword was made to order in a single copy, so there are probably no analogues.

Victrix Do you have any swords with this type of guard in your collection? During what period were they produced?

Regards, Yuri.
Old 30th March 2024, 10:19 PM   #9
Victrix

Quote:
Hello Victrix

I believe that this sword was made to order in a single copy, so there are probably no analogues.

Victrix Do you have any swords with this type of guard in your collection? During what period were they produced?

Regards, Yuri.
Yuri,

I don’t generally collect 19thC swords so my knowledge here is quite limited. From consulting the book “Blanka vapen och skyddsvapen” (1975) by Josef Alm it seems this sword likely is infantry officer’s sabre [sic] m/1859. There’s no picture in the book but the verbal description matches. The handle is made of gilted brass and the grip is covered with fishskin with seven scores in which there is twinned brass wire. The pommel is in the shape of a lion head. The guard plate is big and points upwards on one side with decorations and perforations, and smaller and points downwards on the other without perforations. The blade is decorated with partly gilted etchings and the inscription “Konungen” (the King) on one side and “Fäderneslandet” (the Fatherland) on the other. The scabbard is nickeled. There’s a version for underofficers where the grip is not gilted and lacks decorations with the blade. This model was superseded by the m/1899 infantry officers sabre which has a leather grip with 10 scores and a straight knuckleguard. For some reason straight blade Swedish swords from 19-20thC are called sabres locally, probably because of the grips. Technically I suppose they should be more correctly called pallasches. I hope this helps.
Old 31st March 2024, 04:44 PM   #10
Pertinax

Many thanks to Victrix for the information.

I agree with you that the m/1859 saber was used as the basis for my sword. But since this specimen was made to order and, apparently, by a wealthy officer, there are differences in the design of the guard and the blade. The figured cup is decorated with incised patterns. The blade is of an unusual shape, pay attention to the lower edge; I have never seen such a shape on broadswords.

Judging by the sheath - a holder with a fixed suspension, the broadsword bracket was made after 1875.

Regarding the names of Swedish sabers/broadswords, you are absolutely right, I couldn’t figure it out either, so I call it a sword.

Regards, Yuri.
Old 1st April 2024, 09:43 PM   #11
Pertinax

In 2022, a saber m/1859 with an AR mark on the blade was sold at a Swedish auction
Attached Images