Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd March 2024, 02:42 AM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Right now, I think the most traditional, affordable hand made from scratch switchblades come from Sardinia and start at very near 1K American and on up. Most are made on a per order basis and the workmanship is impeccable; they are of the picklock design which is possibly one of the oldest forms of locking blade along with the Navaja.
If I recall correctly switchblades have been around since at least the American Civil War era. Some of the true antiques are beautiful examples of the Cutlers' art.
Many very nice antique ones came from England.
I carried a modern one in my toolbox with a Tanto style blade when I was doing exterior painting on old houses because if there is a chunk of built-up paint at the limit of your reach thirty feet in the air on an extension ladder an auto knife comes in very handy indeed.
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2024, 01:10 PM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Right now, I think the most traditional, affordable hand made from scratch switchblades come from Sardinia and start at very near 1K American and on up. Most are made on a per order basis and the workmanship is impeccable; they are of the picklock design which is possibly one of the oldest forms of locking blade along with the Navaja.
If I recall correctly switchblades have been around since at least the American Civil War era. Some of the true antiques are beautiful examples of the Cutlers' art.
Many very nice antique ones came from England.
I carried a modern one in my toolbox with a Tanto style blade when I was doing exterior painting on old houses because if there is a chunk of built-up paint at the limit of your reach thirty feet in the air on an extension ladder an auto knife comes in very handy indeed.
Don't forget the German switchblades, the workmanship is better than the Italian switchblades IMO.
Two of my German ones and down German ones in Italian style.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2024, 03:07 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool Are We Trespassing in the Present Time?

What maker is the one at the top?
Is that a Herbertz(sp?) pictured at the bottom?
You need to add a Hubertus to that collection Detlef.
Not to mention a Robert Klaas kissing crane.
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2024, 03:27 AM   #4
Bob A

There has been much court action in the US of late regarding repressive knife laws; I believe balisongs/butterfly knives have been legalised in Hawaii lately.

For those interested, a link to an organisation that monitors such things:
https://www.akti.org/

I have recently become enamored of automatic knives, and now have too many. I find some of them to be very useful; having a decent blade that can be accessed and withdrawn with one hand is essential for some handicapped persons, as well as the common run of mankind. My current favorites are those whose blades are driven out the front of the handle; the nature of the mechanism makes them extremely safe to carry, and the action is such that exercising it for its own sake is a constant source of amusement.

There are many that are in fact veritable works of art; exotic materials, artful blade architecture, and machining to extreme tolerances. It's a shame that such objects are subject to restrictions, but governments always seek increased control, often to the detriment of common sense, as well as to the citizen/subject.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2024, 09:34 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
What maker is the one at the top?
Is that a Herbertz(sp?) pictured at the bottom?
You need to add a Hubertus to that collection Detlef.
Not to mention a Robert Klaas kissing crane.
Hello Rick,

The one on top is a Weltersbach Weidmannsheil. And I have also a Robert Klaas in the collection.
And yes, at the bottom is Herbertz.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2024, 12:16 PM   #6
Hombre

Batangas made by the master Mr Diosdado Ona!
Attached Images

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote