Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th January 2016, 03:12 PM   #1
theswordcollector

Smile 18th Century Naval Sword Russian Polish? with anchors ? ID help

Hello fellow collectors. Could anyone help ID this Naval sword I have? I purchased it many years ago with a naval collection but am unable to identify it for some time. The blade has a tilted anchor on both sides but there is no visible makers mark possibly obscure due to oxidation. I thought because of the hilt design this sword maybe Polish or Russian but I may be wrong ? , as the hilt is very similar to Polish period swords, but I am really not sure? If anyone has idea I would be grateful for information.The blade is 65.5cm or 25 3/4 inches long. The total length of the sword without the scabbard is 79 cm or 31 inches. The guard has 2 period or very old holes drilled as does the scabbard possibly for mounting an award or device or some other reason? like seen on Russian swords. It is a nice old war horse and has allot of wear, I hope some one out there or a fellow collector knows this model or has some input. Thank you :-)
Attached Images

theswordcollector is offline   Reply With Quote