Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2008, 04:24 PM   #1
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Just love the pics. I would be a kid in a candy shop if I were there. Too bad these guys don't have a website.
Thanks, Lew.

Yup, I was on a drool-mode too all the time I was there As for the contact info of that store I bought from, I'll PM you their number in case you'd like to get in touch with him.

Full disclosure: I don't know the guy from Adam! Just met him today.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Ferguson

Man, those look great! I'm so jealous. $5 for a good balisong? Incredible.
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Yes a $5 foot long
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 01:48 AM   #4
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
Man, those look great! I'm so jealous. $5 for a good balisong? Incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Yes a $5 foot long
Hi Steve, Hi Lew,

Yup the price is unbelievable. In fact I have to ask the storeowner 3 to 4 times as I can't believe my own ears

But upon closer examination, the Taal, Batangas pricing of Usd 5 looks logical -- about 30 miles (50 km) away in the neighboring Laguna province, there's this roadside balisong store in Alaminos town (pics below).

I also checked out that store and they sell their balisongs (made also in Barangay Balisong, Taal, Batangas) for Usd 10 each (the veinte-nueve kind).

So it's Usd 5 if it's "farm gate price" right in Bgy. Balisong in Taal, and then the price doubles at a store merely 50 km away.

From Bgy. Balisong to Manila, it's about 120 km (70 miles) away. Am sure that in a Manila store that pays rent in a mall with hired storekeepers (vs. a mom and pop operation in the provinces with no rent & overhead to cover), the same balisong will go for anywhere between Usd 15 to 20.

And make the same balisong cross the Pacific Ocean, then I guess the retail price would already be anywhere between Usd 40 to 60.

Which perhaps is just right given that the crappy smaller balisongs sell in the US for Usd 10 to 20:

Video of a crappy balisong that you can bend with your bare hands!

More balisongs of the Usd 10 to 20 (local US price) kind
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2008, 01:54 AM   #5
migueldiaz

... more pics from the same Alaminos, Laguna store:
Attached Images

Old 1st January 2009, 07:13 AM   #6
migueldiaz

With nothing else better to do on a New Year's day holiday I put one of the Batangas balisongs under the acid test -- the piercing of the local one-peso coin via the blade's tip.

The long and short of it is that it's so far so good (pic below).

I think though that I lack the technique because the coin is supposed to be pierced through to the other side. My furious stabbing of the defiant coin pierced the coin only halfway at best!

I don't have a good camera with me at the moment thus the pic below is crappy. But the tip of the balisong even after that mindless stabbing episode remained sharp and pointy.
Attached Images

Old 2nd January 2009, 12:03 AM   #7
migueldiaz

I realize that we're supposed to focus here on ethnic weapons.

But I can't help but mention how the balisong has evolved into modern day "tacticool" knives. And some of those are pretty exotic designs that baffles one's imagination!

Most if not all of the images are taken from the blades board of a Filipino shooters forum.
Attached Images

Old 11th April 2010, 06:36 AM   #8
harimauhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz

I think though that I lack the technique because the coin is supposed to be pierced through to the other side. My furious stabbing of the defiant coin pierced the coin only halfway at best!
The test was performed with the old 1 Piso coin--the new ones are harder I guess. I picked up seven balisongs this time and I'm waiting for them to arrive by EMS and post...hopefully they make it through OK!

The Customs guy at the airport said "kris!" when my bag went through the X-Ray--I had a two foot long kris and a bolo in there too, but he didn't comment on the bolo. A few minutes later, he came up to me and said, "you know, the fan knife in your suitcase is prohibited. The other guy said I should confiscate it." I told him I only had one and he said, "it's probably better you check in early. I'll tell the guys that you're a good guy. Don't worry." He didn't ask me for money (I thought he would), which was pretty cool. Apparently lots of balis get seized at NAIA, but I always seem to get through just fine (although I did get asked for cotong (is that the right spelling in Tagalog?) in January.
harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote