Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st May 2020, 02:14 PM   #1
gp

Default 19th century Cretan knife in Ottoman form

a small sized / little knife like a bichaq from Crete made either during the Ottoman era or based upon the knives from that period; 19th century.

Strange and sacrilage to me is that someone thought it necessary to engrave the blade. Mine with text and a date 1961
Not a single incident as you can see from one picture also found on another one I tracked on the internet (to see if mine was a forgery or something else) with a date 1951.

Dimensions:

total lenght: 19,8 cm
blade: 9 cm
handle: 19 cm
scabbard (wood covered with leather): 10,7 cm

handle with 3 rivets, 4 circular with dots decoration
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 21st May 2020 at 09:38 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi gp:

These knives have been discussed on this Forum previously. There is also a nice historical three-part description online, starting here, that traces the history, manufacture, and cultural significance of these knives.

What you have is a bone-handled version of a common form of Cretan knife made for those who travel. The modern Greek inscription and a rough outline of the island inscribed on the blade is typical. The 1961 date is probably an accurate reflection of when it was made.

I have a similar knife that was also dated 1961 and was discussed on the old UBB Forum (now no longer available). I will try to find the old pictures and post them.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 21st May 2020 at 10:33 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 09:49 PM   #3
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi gp:

These knives have been discussed on this Forum previously. There is also a nice historical three-part description online, starting here, that traces the history, manufacture, and cultural significance of these knives.

What you have is a bone-handled version of a common form of Cretan knife made for those who travel. The modern Greek inscription and a rough outline of the island inscribed on the blade is typical. The 1961 date is probably an accurate reflection of when it was made.

I have a similar knife that was discussed on the old UBB Forum (now no longer available) and will post pictures of it.

Ian.
Much obliged for your swift reply and very interesting information and links!
I could hardly find anything at all, except for 2 sites whose owners were convinced it to be ancient Ottoman and one having a pricetag of 200 US$ to it.
Lucky I got mine for Euro 40 (still too much but a nice visualisation of a Cretan knife of earlier days nevertheless).
Thanks for your correction, most highly appreciated !
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 05:23 PM   #4
kronckew

Last I heard the guy, made making these was still making them, by Apostolis in Xania,he was a Turk in the Greek part of the island but got along with his neighbours. His son might have taken over...He was getting old and his production had dropped.

I of course have one too. A bit newer.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote