Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th December 2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Edster

Default Sudanese Fighting Sticks

Most rural Sudanese (at least in the mid-1980s) carry curved hardwood sticks to aid in herding, as a self-defence device, something to lean on while resting or to hold up a cloth to protect one from the sun. Similiar sticks were the precursor of the sword. Sticks are also useful in battle with mounted troops. A stick slung into a horse's or camel's legs is likely to bring it down.

The stick at the top of the photo below has a cow's tail skin shrunk-fit as a grip. Some small nails were driven into the tip to reinforce. My son who was into Tae Quon Do at the time and had a bamboo staff covered with fresh cow's tail skins. When the tails had dried and shrunk, the result was a first class fighting staff; light and very strong. No doubt others have made similiar weapons in their own ethnogrphic context.

The bottom stick has a more sophisticated design. It has an airfoil shape and is said to be very accurate in skilled hands.

The spear head in the center was a common design in Central Sudan. The shaft has been cut in half to fit a shipping sack.

Does anyone else have experiences with similiar sticks?

Best,
Edster
Attached Images

Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Jambu

Hi Edster,
Thanks for posting your throwing sticks. Just last year in Port Sudan, Beja men were still carrying these sticks in the villages on the outskirts of that city. Here is the one in my collection along with some other Beja Weapons. It has crosshatched and blackened grooves carved into the grip end. Sorry I don 't have a better photo available because I am living on the road at the moment.

I was also told by locals that these sticks are for hunting and bringing down mounted camels and horses in battle.

In Eritrea, these sticks are still important culturally as seen in this YOUTUBE Video.
Attached Images

Jambu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Edster

Hi Jambu,

Thanks for the update on the cultural currency of stick use. Seems like everyone carries one. Also, you collection looks top notch. Perhaps when you get back home you could share some detail photos of the kaskaras and other Bega weapons. Blade markings and other details are of great interest to the forum. Also, the grip finial of your sword on the right as well as the one in the video is stylistically different from most kaskaras like the one from Kassala on the left. Are thry mostly Eritrian style?

Regards,
Edster
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default Katana style stick

Hi Ed, Jambu

Here are a couple of scans I took from my post card collection. I have been hoping I could add them to a post for some time and now that post it here

The first one is very unusual in that it is akin to a training bokin or Katana with a Tsuba guard. The second you'll see three mounted warriors with the curved style of fighting stick, no doubt the fourth has one out of view too.
The both come with indications of regions in the captions too and I am guess are from the 1920/30s.

Enjoy

Gav
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 17th December 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Jambu

Gav, Those Postcards are great and I like to collect old Postcards with Warriors and Weapons too.

Edster, The sword on the right was purchased by a former owner in a market in Asmara, Eritrea about 1975. And the sword on the left, the shield I obtained in Port Sudan in 2009 and was told it was made in Kassala. Also, the shield and large spearhead were obtained in Port Sudan. The rest I have bought from ebay, etc. to round out my collection. Here is a link to a previous thread where I posted detailed photos of the two swords and markings http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11798
Best Regards,
Jambu is offline   Reply With Quote