Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Jambu

Question Tebu Dagger, Copper Blade?

I just got beat out on this one on ebay. It appears to have a copper or bronze blade and pommel spike. (You have to scroll down on the ebay page to see more photos) I don't know much about this type of dagger. Is this blade material common? In my limited google research I did not see other Tebu daggers with this type of blade.

The scabbard is very nice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Jambu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 02:21 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

THE BLADE MAY BE COPPER OR BRASS AND THAT WOULD BE UNUSUAL. I SUSPECT THAT IT IS A STEEL BLADE AND THE PICTURE QUALITY MAKES IT LOOK DIFFERENT. SURELY THE SELLER WOULD HAVE NOTED A COPPER OR BRASS BLADE IN HIS DESCRIPTION. THIS DAGGER LOOKS TYPICAL TO ME AND I DON'T SEE ANYTHING UNUSUAL ABOUT IT EXCEPT THE ODD COLOR OF THE BLADE IN THE PICTURE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Jambu

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps the copper or brass color is due to poor photo quality, but there seems to be some verdigris where the blade meets the hilt. For comparison, I have posted some photos of the blade along with photos of another dagger, with an obvious steel blade, that was listed at the same time by the same seller.

Only the blade material is unusual and I was wondering if there are any similar examples out there?
Attached Images

Jambu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Vandoo

The green oxidation on the blade makes me think this is a copper blade. It is recently made probably in the last 10 years judging by the condition of the leather. A copper blade is rarer than most but not unknown I have seen these with brass blades also from time to time.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote