Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th April 2010, 12:40 AM   #1
stephen wood

Default mysterious marking on kaskara

I have found this mark on a small (32") and quite old looking kaskara blade.

It is stamped in the fuller, which is forged rather than cut.

It seems quite like the Peter Kull, Solingen mark (a bee or fly) to me...

Does anyone recognise it?
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Jambu

Default Another mark

I do not know anything about the "Fly" blademark pictured with your query.

This Kaskara was purchased in Asmara prior to 1975 and has a Lion Mark similar to the Lion in your diagram above. Does anyone recognize it or have any comment?
Attached Images

Jambu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Jambu
I'm sure this is a German makers mark but I not the one with the reference book still a nice older example.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

With the lion mark, it should be noted that with kaskaras, the larger number of blades with European marks or native produced derivatives are from German markings. With the volume of blades exported from Germany into these markets, it seems quite feasible that variations would occur. The lion variation may well have been native applied as well.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Jambu

Red face For future reference

I neglected to mention that the sword pictured above has two blade markings, similar to example B. pictured in the above reference. The fly type mark is found in the fuller just above the Languet, opposite side of blade from the Lion Marking.

The seller was an ex US Army Soldier who had been at Kagnew Army base in Asmara and had obtained the sword in the early 70's, no other information available.
Attached Images

Old 7th May 2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Red face Maybe

Maybe if I post this enough times ....
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 01:37 AM   #7
stephen wood

I was able to find something similar here

When I recently took it to an Arms Fair in London most people who saw it thought it looked older than most kaskaras. It had been said by Christie's to be '1780's or earlier' according to its previous owner.

It may have been shortened at some time but if so this was very long ago.

Also two structural anomalies stand out:

- the pommel is wooden covered with leather rather than the more usual coiled leather strip.

- the blade is not recessed into a slot in the crossguard.
Attached Images

Old 7th May 2010, 02:00 AM   #8
Jambu

Default Rick, I have this mark too

Hi Rick, I also have a Kaskara with this mark, but I have no idea what it signifies.
The sword was purchased by me last year in a village outside Port Sudan. It was a very exciting experience to say the least. I first found a guy selling a sword or two in the market in the Town Centre, but his asking prices were ludicrous. After making some friends and asking around I was advised to travel to a village about 20 min out of town where there is a market operated by the Beja Tribesmen. After looking around at a few camel saddles and other Beja neccessities, I showed some interest in a couple of 'Saif,' I was soon surrounded by 40 or 50 men and boys waving swords in my face and crowding in all around me, trying to sell of course.
I didn't know much of anything about Kaskara but had researched a little about what would be a good souvenir from Sudan just before I left for Sudan.
Most of the Swords were rather new or if old were in poor shape, but I believe they had better examples that were put away and not for sell. I bargained hard and bought a couple of swords and all sales and cash had to pass through a village headman.
I became very fascinated with these Beja and their Arms and Armour and have done a lot of reading on this website and other sources. I have even bought a few other beja items online since then. I hope to return to Sudan oneday. Sorry I can't offer any serious research, just ancedotes
J Jambu
Attached Images

Last edited by Jambu; 7th May 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 7th May 2010, 02:43 AM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Yep .
Darfur style .
Nice hilting but different fullering considering they share the same style of mark .

http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=1967

A European origin has been suggested here but not proven .

*Paging Jim ; here's another .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 04:04 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Maybe if I post this enough times ....
Know what you mean Rick! The one I have with the mark is in distinctly Darfur mounts (according to Reed). Im beginning to think this may well be a stylized native version of the Kull mark.
Old 24th July 2011, 11:27 AM   #11
Cuirassier

Arrow Subject rekindled?

Sorry to raise the dead (subject).

I have bought a kaskara with these same marks. It was a punt, outside my normal field of sword interest & knowledge. I have also now (I think) managed to secure / buy a copy of 1000 Blademaker Marks, which also lists these same marks as the one Stephen posted regarding the Sword of Raidera.

I hope I will get my copy of 1000 Blademaker Marks soon (I always fear those dreaded words "Sorry, I have already sold it and forgot to remove my advertisment / the listing").

In the mean time, does anyone have a copy / know the maker, date, details etc? I have posted images below. It is a strange looking beast but I think the kaskara was built that way as the pommel also has the Abyssinian? lion on it. Any information you could share would be appreciated.

Bom dia from Portugal
I actually live opposite the Spanish town of Salvaterra de Mino which is where the Napoleonic French army decided to cut and run (literally) during the Peninsula War discarding, it is alleged, their weapons en mass as they did so. So why are there absolutely no Napoleonic swords to be found here?!
Mark
Attached Images

Cuirassier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Cuirassier

Default Other photo

Sorry, I either missed posting the photo of the kaskara or it did not show, so here it is.
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Mark,
It is always great to see these older threads posted with new information and examples! Thank you, and welcome, glad you're with us.
Kaskaras are one of the most fascinating edged weapons as they are often revealing in our understanding of the history of these Sudanese regions and culture, and actually are pretty much even a present day weapon in degree.

Yours is modern in the mounts, but the blade seems older of course. These swords were heirlooms in many cases, and typically often rehilted, so the hilt on yours is a bit of an anomoly, and the pommel and grip a bit different from most we see.

Most of these fairly modern kaskaras are 'kasallawi', that is furbished in the Kassala regions, and often using very old blades handed down for many generations or in as many cases, traded. They are most often Hadendoa weapons, and it is difficult to distinguish further which tribal entity within these confederations these kaskara fall into.

The markings with the rampant lion, the cross and orb and the 'fly' are well crafted native interpretations of older European markings which have been around from the much earlier trade blades often diffused through the vast trade networks across the Sahara. The 'fly' mark as discussed, derives primarily from the markings of the Kull family of Solingen, and is shown as either Peter or Samuel's markings presumed from about 1847 into c.1870.
The natives often integrated these markings into thier own traditional allegoric parlance, and the fly was believed to represent the warriors skill at elusive dexterity in combat.
They believed the cross and orb represented the drum, representing courage, and the rampant lion represents brave warriors as well.
These interpretations are from Ed Hunleys outstanding dissertation on the sword and knife makers of Kassala (posted on our website here).

I would say your blade has some age, probably into latter 19th century, and was probably into the present mounts, in this incarnation, as late as 1960, hard to say.

Keep in mind, these kaskara are still important status symbols to tribal people, and age of the weapon is perceived quite differently by us as collectors, than to those who view them as a continued tradition.

Hope this is of some help,
All the best,
Jim

P.S. the reason most historic weapons do not remain in location is that they have been collected away over many generations. In most cases with battlefields, these were scavenged and looted soon after the event, and the weapons were often sold off in bundles as surplus. Many of course became souveniers. In the Sudan, there was such demand for souveniers that the manufacture of items was actually engaged in England to provide native type items to the vendors there to sell. The most reliable sources we have are well provenanced items collected by troops immediately after battles, which have come down through estates and those now in museums.
Old 27th July 2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Cuirassier

Default Hi Jim

Thanks for that. The problem for me is I do not believe the blade is that recent. The markings, which I think you have alluded to, could well have been added at a later date. The passant lion done with copper (or possibly gold, but I think copper), plus the orb I am sure have been added to the blade sometime after the blade was made. The orb for example shows the pitting / tiny pot holes of the metal underneath, so these tiny holes were there when the orb was added. I can not see the mayfly marks easily, as they are hidden under the langets, but again these could have been added later.

Very old blades are not my thing. I love Napoleonic and more recent swords most. But I have seen and handled a number of older blades, as I have handled kaskaras, some of which had trade blades.

The blade I have is naturally aged; I think the photos show this. I do not believe a blade made in Prussia mid-late 19th Century would a) have this amount of aging and b) have aged like this one has, especially given the dry arid conditions of Somalia, etc. The blade has pitting and corrosion not from rust (as well I know that "friend" very well). I do not think a Solingen blade maker would have made anything so "rustic" (thinking back to the orb and tiny aging or forging holes); the other trade blades I have seen in kaskaras were not like this. It is difficult because kaskara blades were modeled on ancient blades, so this one could have been made any time from 1100 to 1900, but I am so sure it is not 18th / 19th Century I am going to try and find a carbon dating facility here in Portugal to see if it can be accurately age dated.

So watch this space!
Cheers
Mark
Old 28th July 2011, 01:28 AM   #15
stephen wood

Blades with these markings are noted as being imported to Kordofan and Darfur in the 1830's.
Old 28th July 2011, 01:36 AM   #16
Edster

This is an interesting thread. Brings back lots of memories.

I am intrigued by Mark's sword. It is stylistically unique, at least to me. I am not familiar with the style of grip and handle. Also, the long piece perpendicular to the cross guard (don't know its technical name) appears to be riveted to the grip and due to its length must have been forge welded to the cross piece. The gross piece itself is tapered and appears to be of good quality and maybe early 19th Century.

The blade is also interesting. I agree with you Mark that it just looks old. The small missing peace appears to be an old chip-out possible from being struck from another sword. It some how looks thicker than many I have seen and may have been made from wrought iron, thus not an imported trade blade. Many of the native Sudanese blades of the Mahdi period and well before were brittle and broke during battle. It could well be an heirloom blade done up in more modern livery

As has been noted several times on the Forum, we have no good means to date blades. The oldest kaskara I know of with attribution are museum pieces reputed to have belonged to Ali Dinar around 1821, I think. That blade is presumably imported. Maker's marks are of some help since the "maker" has a known production life span, but many marks are copied or intrepeted locally as those posts discuss above.

Perhaps we can develop a data base of metallurgical analysis. This may be difficult with collector pieces in that investigation leaves a mark about the size of a dime. Photomicrographs requires an etching and polishing a small portion of the blade, but the crystaline structure of the blade can be very telling. Is it wrought iron, mild steel, carbon steel, other alloy steel? Was it work hardened or quenched and tempered or just quenched? My knowledge is limited to memories of metallurgical course some 50 years ago, but I enjoyed the lab work.

The watershed in native Sudanese blade materials came with the British occupation and railroad construction after 1899 when modern steel became available locally and in large amounts. At least in 1986 and probably before Kassala blades were made from lorry leaf springs. This material no doubt has a metallurgical signature, likewise do Soligen and other import blades as well as wrought iron. I have seen demonstrations of leaf spring Kassala blades being bent almost double and spring back without any evidence of set. (The process can be tricky and dangerous if you don't have the knack.) Also, by holding the blade pointed up it can be shook rapidly and seem to quiver in your hand. Will older European blades, perhaps not made of spring steeel do that?

Who on the forum has metallurgical expertise and maybe a metallurgical microscope and Brinnel hardness tester, and who has blades that they would be willing to suffer a polished spot as a sample? Perhaps we could do a workshop next year at Timonium with esperts who knows what they are talking about. Certainly not me.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 04:15 AM   #17
Jeff D

I have the exact same blade in much better condition. As stated by Jim the maker is Kull and is mid 19th Century. See this thread for pictures and references.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Cronau

All the Best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 05:29 AM   #18
Iain

Unless my memory is really going, assuming this is a trade blade it is a Kull blade, specifically the 1847 export pattern and not uncommon in kaskara. I have a scan somewhere from the blade markings book where it is positively IDed, if you want to PM or email me I'd be happy to send it to you. These blades also appear in takouba, but reprofiled with narrow, rounded tips. There are also native copies, often without the stamps but very similar geometry. The stamps on this one appear clear however and, from as much as I can see in the photos appears to match other Kull examples precisely.

So, in summary, Peter Kull, mid 1800s, a well liked export pattern in the Sudan that also found it's way into takouba. I'm more intrigued by the pommel on your sword to be honest, what on earth is it made of? Never seen one quite like it.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 09:47 AM   #19
Cuirassier

Default Sorry, I do not believe this is an 18th Century Prussian blade

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I do not believe this is an 19th Century Prussian blade, at all, 100% not.

I may not have an 1100 / 1200 Crusader blade, but I absolutely do not have a 19th Century Prussian blade either; the later I can speak with some level of knowledge.

Why would a 19C Prussian blade maker;
a) Traditionally hand forge a blade in the old European style / methods?
b) Copy a bulbous blade from hundreds of years before? Remember, the blade in mine and other similar kaskaras do not have an essential facet of European blades post, what, 17th Century; a forte.
c) Risk being the laughing stock of Prussia / Solingen; the centre of the sword making industry in Europe?

Conjecture.
Someone in the Sudan lands copied the mayfly trademark of Peter Kull, the orb of various earlier European swords, then added their own lion. Then, one day, a sword expert came along and found a few of these blades. "Ah, the mark of Peter Kull. So these other markings must be his too.". I notice I believe that these various marks are stated as being "attributed with" or "connected to" Kull, not known 100% marks of his? Nor would they be in 19th Century Solingen. Prussian makers made fine etched blades, not iron rich traditionally forged lumps with such basic maker marks (mayfly) stamped into them. Prussian blade makers were very proud; this is NOT a 19th Century Prussian blade.

I am not trying to convince myself I have the legend (a Crusader's blade). It most likely is a locally made blade IMHO. The trouble is, if I get the blade carbon dated, I may well get a 19th Century result that some would argue means the blade was made by Kull of Solingen. But, the more I look at the blade, the more I say to myself "If a Solingen maker produced this blade in the mid-19th Century, he would be derided everywhere you look."

Edster
The grip etc. is weird. I think the pommel nut is perhaps copper alloy because a) the coloration and b) the blue oxidation present. I have seen these pommel nuts before from the side (did not look nor see passant lions on the top) but can not remember where - they are quite common I think with these strange ridge protrusions.

The grip / hilt assembly is odd but very, very strong, and I believe period (late 19th Century / early 20th) because of the pommel nut. Why would anyone regrip the sword this way retaining the pommel nut? I mean, if it is one of these rastifications people talk about, where katana blades have been "restored" to crusader period mounts, they would not have kept the pommel nut. Kaskara hilts have a tendency to be frail right? This one is not for sure.
Old 28th July 2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Jeff, thank you so much, now I recall that blade of yours and in particular the copper inlaid cross and orb, a subject of considerable discussion back then.

After seeing Jeff's blade carrying these same markings but with a blade with different fuller it suggests these very well may be native copies of earlier blade forms and using the Kull marks. It does seem that some native stamps reflected copies of the Solingen markings well established in extant trade blades and particular makers in certain areas adopted a certain consistancy in use of marks groupings that reflected certain symbolic character.

As far as I know, Solingen trade blades, especially in these later times, did not carry copper or brass inlaid markings, but did sometimes have marks of makers or purveyors. It does seem that several types of fullering or channels were typical in native kaskara blades, and Mark's example and Jeff's carry the marks grouping with association to the Kull marks, while being of two of the fuller patterns.

Mark, it should be noted that Solingen was very much an industrial cartel that produced blades of many styles that were intended to certain markets. They were producing rapier blades for Spain and her colonies long after the narrow blade rapier had become obsolete elsewhere. The blades for many different types of sword were continued as dictated by traditions kept in place for periods long after the initial form originally had been supplanted by other influences and forms. This is very much in keeping with 'revival' type weapons in many cultures and the reason why we see anachonistic styles in many native weapons such as Egyptian style features in many African weapons; kopis and machaira style features in Indian and other forms etc.
In Solingen certain blades often carried certain inscriptions that seem to have suggested a 'brand' system for blade types to certain markets, such as 'Andrea Ferara' on the blades destined to Scottish markets; and Sahagun to certain Continental markets.
Solingen and England both procuced antiquated sickle form blades to Abyssinia into to the 1930s for thier shotels, and it does seem that a number of European produced blades of broadsword blades for native markets did come out of Solingen. It is about commerce most of all rather than current styles or fashion.

Ed, I believe that Ali Dinar,who was the last sultan of Darfur, was killed in 1916 by British forces during insurgences at that time, if that is the one you are referring to. I am not sure of others with that name were earlier.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 28th July 2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Iain

Mark,

These blades were purely export items. They were a cheap product never intended to showcase the particular skills of the maker. They were made in this style because that is what the Sudanese market wanted.

They are in no way comparable to the military patterns and other items the same makers produced at the time, nor where they ever meant to be.

The markings, as Jim noted, were recognized in the market the blades were intended for.

If your blade has the following configuration - cross and orb at the top of the fuller on side, lion on the other, flies on the base both sides - it matches other blades from the maker.

Attached the confirmation of Peter Kull's use of the three marks.

Also a takouba with the exact same blade, only reprofiled for local tastes.

Of course you have it in hand and if you are convinced it is something else I doubt I can change your mind, but just to let you know why those of us with some long standing interest in takouba and kaskara are rather sure of what you have.

As Jim notes, the possibility of a native copy always exists, but in this case I would be quite ready to believe you've got the genuine, made for export, article.

The pommel is particularly interesting, as the Ethiopians were not adverse to using the occasional kaskara, perhaps the different hilting could indicate some usage outside the usual Sudanese sphere of influence.

All the best,

Iain
Attached Images

Old 29th July 2011, 01:44 AM   #22
tom hyle

a few points
First, 19th Solingen makers' marks in my experience were usually struck, not etched, with additional decorations further out the blade etched.
The lion seems etched, the other marks seem struck.
I don't know what is meant by the idea that this is wildly different from Solingen work; I don't see it.
I don't know what is meant that the blade is "bulbous"? Is this a cross sectional reference?
As to the blade with the inlays, if there are pits showing thru from under the inlay they could be from water (etc.) penetrating beneath an incompletely sealed-down inlay, but if the pits are older than the inlay, that means that the depression the inlay is in must have already been there, yes? In any event, this is actually rather difficult to see in the photo.
The perpendicular extensions from the guard are called lagnets (in French/English)
Certainly old European blades that are thin and soft enough (and many are) will vibrate as described. Burton (19th) recomended vibrating a sword in somewhat this manner (by striking the pommel though) to see the centers of vibration and of impact.
Understand that as has been stated European trade blades for these swords were not cast-offs of the European market, but deliberately produced for the African market.
Burton cracked that Solingen seemed determined to arm the entire continent with its steel.
The recieved idea that these were based on European medieval swords seems entirely specious; what I tend to refer to as a "collectors' tale". The people who weild these call themselves Arabs, and these seem clearly descended from and related to Arab swords, including the semi Turkish style guard (it is not hollow to form a ferule like real Turkish and Persian ones, and the upper lagnet is often/usually covered by a ferule or wrapping as seen on modern Arab sabres). Medieval Arab swords were usually straight and double edged.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 01:25 AM   #23
Edster

Jim, I stand corrected on Ali Dinar. Some of his swords are documented, including in the Forum. Got my "Alis" confused. I think it was Mohammad Ali of Egypt who defeated the last Fung king in 1821. I wonder if there are any documented swords from the Fung period.

Best,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 11:11 AM   #24
Cuirassier

Default Hi Guys

Hi Guys
OK, thank you; I have trouble reconciling such a primitively made blade to a supposedly fine Solingen maker, even in the name of making a buck, but I accept it. I guess Wilkinson ended up making razor blades and garden shears while what remains of the Solingen blade industry makes cutlery, so I guess Kull making melon choppers on a blazing forge because the locals in the Sudan wanted to waste their money that way should come as no surprise. Shame, I was hoping this was an old horn of Africa made blade, or better of course.

On a more positive note, it would appear I have actually managed to buy a scarce to rare 1000 Blademaker Marks book, which I presume is what you showed excerpts of Iain?
Cheers
Mark
Old 31st July 2011, 05:53 AM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
Jim, I stand corrected on Ali Dinar. Some of his swords are documented, including in the Forum. Got my "Alis" confused. I think it was Mohammad Ali of Egypt who defeated the last Fung king in 1821. I wonder if there are any documented swords from the Fung period.

Best,
Ed
Ed, please pardon my poorly worded note, I was unclear on which Ali Dinar was meant, and wanted to reconfirm. These names can be extremely confusing as they have so much similarity. These are often extremely complex as they are almost a geneological record in themselves when read entirely. For example, Muhammed Ali's son, who was also one of his general's, was the one referred to in 1821, but Muhammed Ali was indeed one part of his full name.

I am not sure if there are swords which can be attributed to the Fung dynasty, but there a number of heirloom blades remounted which belonged to Ali Dinar and certainly may be of these earlier periods. There are quite a number of weapons in Istanbul of Mamluk association which date from many of the earlier periods, and are well documented.

I would not presume to correct you, as I personally have learned a great deal from your outstanding dissertation and work on Kassalla, as well as our conversations.Superb research!!!

All the very best,
Jim
Old 31st July 2011, 06:57 AM   #26
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuirassier
Hi Guys
OK, thank you; I have trouble reconciling such a primitively made blade to a supposedly fine Solingen maker, even in the name of making a buck, but I accept it. I guess Wilkinson ended up making razor blades and garden shears while what remains of the Solingen blade industry makes cutlery, so I guess Kull making melon choppers on a blazing forge because the locals in the Sudan wanted to waste their money that way should come as no surprise. Shame, I was hoping this was an old horn of Africa made blade, or better of course.

On a more positive note, it would appear I have actually managed to buy a scarce to rare 1000 Blademaker Marks book, which I presume is what you showed excerpts of Iain?
Cheers
Mark

Mark, welcome to weapons collecting 101 but truly sorry for the disappointment. It is an unfortunate truth that sometimes seriously studying a subject reveals that reality is more often than not, far more mundane than the folkore or presumptions most of us always hope will be found to be true.
Personally, I have studied weapons most of my life, and while often disappointed when the truth on a piece revealed far more mundane provenance than I had hoped....I have learned that with the truth, there was usually far more fascinating history beyond the embellished lore I had been led to believe.
Solingen was a huge industrial machine, and behind its success was of course commerce. The makers were there to earn a living, and of course they were masterfully skilled, but when fulfilling contracts, they produced in volume for effect.

For me, I have found the history of the tribes in the Sudan and Saharan regions and the weapons they use to this day fascinating, including the imports and commerce of blades from many sources. The markings and symbolisms on the blades have intriguing history into earlier times in swordmaking in Spain, Germany, Italy and England which have taken on new interpretations in native parlance. This was certainly not about misguided local tribesmen wasting money on cheap knockoff blades, this is about colonialism and building economies in tribal cultures, and the development and history around these times.

This is all a learning experience and truly adventures in history, the way it really happened, far from books. movies and popular folklore, and the weapons are our guides.

As you can see, when it comes to markings, this area is probably one of the least accurately documented topics in weapons collecting alongside the study of symbolism and decorative motif. The markings shown by Iain are from "Geschicte der Solingen Klingenindustrie" by Rudolf Cronau, Stuttgart, 1885, which has been reprinted.
Rather than trying to locate this it is better to get the paperback "German Swords and Swordmakers" by Richard Bezdek, which includes considerable detail on markings as well.

The book you have on order by Lenciewicz is actually a compendium of markings and thier presumed country of origin with approximate century. These are simply compiled presumably from actual examples, however no detail is given nor any information referenced but still provides interesting illustrations in line drawings. There are no weapons illustrated nor any text discussing any markings, and the book is still useful as a guide. I have a copy but use it mostly as a balance while using the others as primary sources when looking into markings.

In my opinion one of the best references to acquire is "European Arms and Armour" the Wallace Collection, by Sir. James Mann, London, 1962. in two volumes. It is a full catalogue with photo illustrations and line drawings of markings found along with detailed decriptions of the weapons and often notes on the marks. There are pages of markings at the back for quick reference and cross reference to the page and weapon they appear on.

Also you might see our thread on makers trademarks here which has some interesting information and discussions. While as I have noted there is a true dearth of material focused on weapons markings, you will see that the thread continues to escalate in views (now approaching 23,000!) clearly showing the profound interest in finding information on markings is out there.

Your sword is far from being a primatively forged hunk of steel of little worth, but a blade fabricated in industrial workshops bearing the marks of that maker and which were deeply imbued in meaning to the tribesmen who kept these swords with great pride and tradition.

I just wanted to put my perspective here as in the same way those tribesmen see these swords, even to this day,I see them in much the same sense. I personally treasure and admire these weapons and the cultures in which they have been used and maintained, in all degrees and scope from the munitions grade weapons of the rank and file to the beautifully crafted weapons in museums and fine collections.

All very best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 1st August 2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 31st July 2011, 08:45 PM   #27
Iain

What Jim said. Can't honestly word it better myself. I am usually disappointed with every new piece I get - that typically goes away after a few days, but things are hardly ever what we would hope for in arms collecting. Part of the game is learning to appreciate an example objectively - something I struggle with fairly often.

I would still love to see more photography of the hilt of your sword - it is quite unique and well worth additional study. I am quite intrigued by the pommel and even the grip shape has such a difference with the typical Sudanese cylindrical grips that part of me wonders if it was redone by a Western collector or owner.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:29 PM   #28
David R

Back in the days before the Chinese started making replicas a lot of kaskara and takouba were revamped by reenactors into "medieval" swords, and for swords used in cutting demonstrations this still goes on. I have two such myself, originaly a kaskara and a takouba, the one with an old (17thC) Solingen type blade and the other native made. Both came to me as unmounted blades, but I have seen complete swords reconfigured even quite recently.
I am now looking to retro fit my two, and another unmounted takouba blade I have back into their African form.
Myself, I am more than happy to have a trade blade in an ethnic sword ..Interestingly Ian Bottomly at the Royal Armouries tells me that the starting point for some Western collections was native blades from all over the world brought back to use as models for trade blade production. Thus producing what the market already wanted, rather than trying to sell the locals an unfamiliar item.
There is also the wonderfull post by S.Al-Anizi about the Bazaar in Riyadh, in which a respected local dealer claims that European blades are second only to the best Indian wootz.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 06:08 PM   #29
Iain

Hi David,

I for one would be interested to see photos of the Solingen blade.

All the best,
Iain
Old 16th February 2012, 11:01 PM   #30
David R

Hi Ian, nothin' special about the blade, 870 ml. long 41ml. wide, flat lentoid with 3 narrow fullers..one long two short. Two half moons with faces each side of the blade. A pretty typical Kaskara blade. I don't have a working camera at present but will try to get pics posted as soon as. I bought it some years ago from Dave Edge of the Wallace Collection in a private sale, and he gave the provinance and date.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote