Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th July 2020, 06:59 AM   #1
cyten

Wonderful acquisition, Ricky! Having never examined one in person (outside a museum) are these normally rifled?

And to the Kariophili vs Rasak debate, just what is the difference? Not having any reference material myself (waiting for a good deal on Elgood) I have always just thought the ones with a miquelet lock without a triggerguard were Rasak and the flintlock with triggerguard were Kariophili. One being "truly Hellenic" the other being Slavic/Balkan/Turkish influenced. But that was always an assumption.
cyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 05:08 PM   #2
rickystl

"I have always just thought the ones with a miquelet lock without a triggerguard were Rasak and the flintlock with triggerguard were Kariophili. One being "truly Hellenic" the other being Slavic/Balkan/Turkish influenced. But that was always an assumption."

Hi Cyten

That seems to be the general opinion of many. And I can't really argue with that since I am also in general agreement based on reference material and handling other original examples.
The gun styling is very similar to other Rasak guns with the more curved stock and use of a miquelet lock and no trigger guard as mentioned. Maybe influence from Southern Albania (?) where the miquelet lock shows up on 90% of Albanian guns.
What attracted me to this gun was the great condition and completeness. But what had me confused was the barrel. While I could not read the script the decoration on the barrel looked Ottoman to me. Thanks to this Forum we now know the writing is Ottoman/Turkish. What I am not sure of is whether the "built by" signature refers to the entire gun, or just the barrel. But it makes more sense that it refers to the complete gun.
We do know that Ottoman/Turkish gun barrels were held in high regard during this period. Even some higher end European sporting guns show up with Ottoman barrels.

I've never read or seen one of these guns with a rifled barrel. Apparently not a preference for the owners.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 01:14 PM   #3
executioners

a question:

does anyone know the specific year of construction of the Rasak musket?

thank you
executioners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 06:00 AM   #4
guests

Greetings.

The "kariofili" "καριοφίλι" is a corruption of the name of the Italian firearms maker 'Carlo e figlio' (that means 'Carlo and son'), the barrels were mostly from Brescia, in 1797 Beretta was awarded a "good service certificate" from Napoleon Bonaparte for supplying barrels for 40.000 muskets manufactured by Brescia for the French emperor's grande armee.

The Rasak was indeed a Balkanian construction as was the Dzeferdar.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ian; 29th August 2020 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Removal of links to pictures
guests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2020, 07:13 AM   #5
guests

by the way to this sales collection gallery site there was a Rasak musket that is sold out and had a trigger guard

Last edited by Robert; 26th August 2020 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Linking to a site offering items for sale one more time will earn you a two week ban. Please read the rules..
Old 27th August 2020, 01:28 PM   #6
guests

The Greeks instead of the atakti army had and the ieros lohos (sacred band or holy regiment) that had regular, tactic army uniforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klepht

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armatoloi

Last edited by Ian; 29th August 2020 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Links to external pictures are not permitted! Repeat offense. Author's privileges suspended for two weeks.