Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st March 2021, 11:31 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Sword rack specs

Bit of an odd question, but does anyone have a tested profile shape I can use for a custom sword rack? Many of the ones I see online are for Japanese swords and I'm concerned they would not accommodate differing shapes/widths per a broad ethnographic collection. The top photo is what I've been using, it is actually a silk spool holder used for Khmer ikat weaving. I find it works well for narrower blades but wide blades like a Kachin tool dao won't sit right, in fact the Lepcha ban in the photo just barely seats without tipping forward. I've also attached a random internet grab of a sword rack as reference. I can certainly come up with a profile by eyeball but I'm curious if someone here may have played around with different designs and have a profile they recommend.
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 03:40 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

But they DO accomodate various other swords (shamshirs, kilij, tulwars, dhas, yataghans, European sabres, etc.).

I have several types of floor stands, starting with very small ones for miniature knives and ending with large ones for full length swords.
Starting with stands for one sword and ending with stands for eight swords.

They come in such a variety of sizes that it will be difficult not to find one that fits.

I bought mine mostly from Amazon, but also eBay and AliExpress.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 06:08 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS
... I've also attached a random internet grab of a sword rack as reference...
Amazing; i bought a used stand from a shop of fake weapons, which had been emptied, just like the one you show but with the rack in both sides. I split it in two halves, nailed to wall one on top of the other and got myself a good rack for my antique firearms. The round wooden hooks are more fit for guns, i must say; swords may turn down and not sit in the right position.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 09:19 PM   #4
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
The round wooden hooks are more fit for guns, i must say; swords may turn down and not sit in the right position.
I have this problem even with standard sword stands (as I display most of my swords unsheathed, with the scabbards underneath) but I use some pieces of black isoprene to prop the swords within the hooks/cutouts of the stands.

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 1st April 2021 at 05:42 AM.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 10:04 AM   #5
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
But they DO accomodate various other swords (shamshirs, kilij, tulwars, dhas, yataghans, European sabres, etc.)
That is good to know. I may be over thinking it, but since Amazon is not an option (I am in Cambodia) I'm going to have to have something made (no shop either - apartment living) so wondering if there is a preferred design...
Old 1st April 2021, 10:19 AM   #6
David R

I made my own. More photo's later, but this is the weapon stand in the corner of my living room.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 10:20 AM   #7
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
I have this problem even with standard sword stands (as I display most of my swords unsheathed, with the scabbards underneath) but I use some pieces of black isoprene to prop the swords within the hooks/cutouts of the stands.
My rack for the swords ... and a solution to keep them right.

Attached Images

Old 1st April 2021, 06:31 PM   #8
Iain

I'm a fan of clear plastic, I had these custom made a while ago. relatively narrow slots.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 08:23 PM   #9
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I'm a fan of clear plastic, I had these custom made a while ago. relatively narrow slots.
Clearly the best to me!
Not only because it is elegant, but also because you can see the swords.
Black absorbs the light, it is the reason why I painted all my racks in white.
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 08:29 PM   #10
fernando

With a little help from my friends .

Attached Images

Old 1st April 2021, 08:38 PM   #11
Kubur

Of course

um abraço
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 09:43 PM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Iain,

A very elegant solution. Also three very nice Thai daab.

I notice that a few folks appear to be storing swords in their scabbards. That has been a problem for me in that residual moisture or oil and dirt can get on the blade and need attention subsequently. The handful of swords that I display are kept out of their scabbards. Similarly for those in storage.

Australian law requires that edged weapons, like firearms, need to be kept secure and away from children. That limits display options considerably.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:14 AM   #13
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Iain,

A very elegant solution. Also three very nice Thai daab.
Thanks Ian, the top one is Thai (northern), while the middle is Burmese, likely Ava region, and the bottom Lao (probably from around Luang Prabang).

I agree storing in scabbards long term is not ideal. I am including a sketch with the dimensions in mm of my racks. Any shop that works with acrylic would manage it easily I think.
Attached Images

Last edited by Iain; 2nd April 2021 at 11:48 AM.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:23 AM   #14
JeffS

Good stuff, and thank you Iain for sharing the schematic.

Quote:
I notice that a few folks appear to be storing swords in their scabbards. That has been a problem for me in that residual moisture or oil and dirt can get on the blade and need attention subsequently. The handful of swords that I display are kept out of their scabbards. Similarly for those in storage.
Helpful advice but it adds significantly to the challenge of storage and will take some planning. Any tips? I am considering an antique chest of drawers on which the display stand sits and then rotate the ones that I display. I was considering having pairs of stacked trays made for each drawer. However if scabbards are removed, this doubles the surface area needed.
Old 24th November 2021, 07:46 AM   #15
JeffS

Inspired by Iain I had some racks custom made from acrylic. The first one (bottom shelf in photo) uses simple sloped levels to hold the sword/sheath. I found that blades with a strong change in width (e.g. klewang) would sit at sloped angles. The second design (top shelf) allows more adjustment using small steps so the blade can be leveled somewhat by using different steps for the different widths. This also allows you to adjust the vertical angle to better match field of view. I've included the diagrams of first and second designs. I need two more sets for my display cabinet so will play with the design a bit more.
Attached Images

Old 28th November 2021, 04:18 PM   #16
Ferguson

Very nice solution! You have some wonderful pieces. I particularly like the ban sword from the Lepcha people of Sikkim.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2021, 04:37 PM   #17
francantolin

Here the wonderful weapon rack of Cornelis Tromp ,
an Admiral of the VOC

Pictures taken visitng the Rijks Museum in Amsterdam.

I would take all back home
( bit I hadn't place enough in my luggage )
Attached Images

francantolin is offline   Reply With Quote