Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 31st March 2021, 09:45 PM   #1
Elmereya

Default National Museum of Finland. Helsinki. A humble sword

good day.
in the exposition of this museum there are several bright swords, which are described in various monographs and so on, for example the sword from Sountaki .. but about this sword that I noted in the photo, for some reason no one has ever explained anything, probably simply because on there are no beautiful ornaments and unusual devices, crosshairs and pommels,. but he also looks not quite standard, I wonder if there will be any opinions on this subject ,?
with respect .
(photo taken from the Internet)
Attached Images

Elmereya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Reventlov

Actually, the hilt of this sword was originally quite ornate - it is only plain in comparison with its neighbour in this photo. The hilt is silver-plated, and inlaid with Scandinavian interlace designs (Urnes style). There are number of swords of this style found in the Eastern Baltic region; one has been published in both Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword and Peirce's Swords of the Viking Age. The shape of the guard is unusual though, the only exact analogue I am familiar with came from Latvia, and is now in the Army Museum in Paris.
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:53 AM   #3
Elmereya

good afternoon, thank you very much for your reply and such nice photos,
in fact, apart from these items, I did not find anything like that, that is, these swords are of type VI according to Wheeler
with respect
Attached Images

Old 20th December 2021, 06:39 PM   #4
Elmereya

good afternoon, I came across such a fragment on one of the forums in the archive, a find from the 90s from the river, it is interesting that the crosshair is iron, and the pommel is bronze, it seems to be of the Baltic Curonian type, or it just looks like
Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2021, 03:54 PM   #5
midelburgo

They remember me of the swords from Xth century Spanish "Beatos" comentaries to the Apocalipsis.

Ada Bruhm de Hoffmeyer made a recopilation of these swords images in his first volume of The Sword in Spain. I will try to make a shot later.

Of course vikings attacked both, christians (Santiago) and muslims (Seville). So they fit to the idea of apocalyptic raiders.
On the other hand monks just copied previous codex copies, they never saw the real thing.
Attached Images

midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Elmereya

Yes, indeed, local local regional variations are surprisingly diverse, although they mostly fit into well-known typologies, you wrote and showed this in a very unusual and interesting form, I really liked it, thank you
Old 24th December 2021, 01:13 AM   #7
midelburgo

From Ada Bruhm-Hoffmeyer Arms and Armour in Spain, vol I.
Attached Images

midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 06:10 AM   #8
Elmereya

good afternoon, thanks a lot, really.
and in spite of the schematic conventionality of the images, we still see many recognizable types, it is catchy.
Sincerely .
Old 10th January 2022, 01:48 AM   #9
bkwinter

To me, this looks rather like a type Z (Petersen typology). See p. 261 of Marks of Fire, Value, and Faith. This would be a late viking age sword.

Do you have the KM number for the sword? We might be able to find out more about it.
bkwinter is offline   Reply With Quote