Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th March 2024, 04:59 PM   #1
Turkoman.khan

Default Impressions of the book Arms and armor in the khanates of Central Asia

Impressions of the book Arms and armor in the khanates of Central Asia (Bukhara, Kokand, Khiva) in the late 18th - early 20th centuries.

Yesterday I received a book from Dmitry (and before that a translation of the book in PDF format) and I want to share my first impressions.
The quality of the iconography is amazing with many colour engravings, oils paintings, water colours, old photographs and recent drawings of weapons for this publication.
The book starts with an Historical background about collectors in the West and in Russia. The first collections of oriental arms in Russia date back to the 15th to 18th century in royal collections of the Tzar. Russia had diplomatic relationships with the Khanates, Russian foreign trade with Bukharan merchants goes back to the 16th century. The collections in Russian museums were created around old diplomatic gifts, trophies of war, and objects collected by ethnographic expeditions during the colonial period.
The description of warfare and armies it gives the reader a lot of documentation about the history and cultural context of the weapons studied. This chapter is supported by quotations from travellers and military men.
The swords, shashkas, spears and other arms presented in the book are amazing.
Attached Images

Turkoman.khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2024, 12:01 AM   #2
G. Mansfield

I too have recently received a copy of Dmitry’s new book. After reading his last great book on the Weapons of Afghanistan, I purchased this newest work. I have not had a chance to sit down and read it yet, but my first impressions quickly browsing through the book, I can say that the quality and time placed into this is exceptional. The contents are laid out very simple, organized, and well placed. It is not another typical picture book with arms and armor, but rather an extensive historical overview of the weapons from the region. Many historical photographs are within, then categorically covering differing genres of weapons and their variations. The photographs are crisp and vivid with captioned details. I also see a number of familiar weapons, which is great to showcase well deserved magnificent items not just from museums and institutions but from fellow collectors too. Without reading it further I can’t say much more, but I do recommend placing an order if you are a collector or want to know more about the subject. Well worth the money spent and looking forward to delving into it more extensively.
G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2024, 08:39 AM   #3
Martin Lubojacky

Thanks for the information about this book, it looks really very interesting, definitely a wonderful book with valuable information
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2024, 03:34 AM   #4
Bob A

Dmitriy's book arrived at my house last week, after a remarkably rapid transit from the far side of the world. (I can recall waiting for over a month to receive a book from the area; this one arrived in less than 10 days, and Dmitriy followed it every step of the way and kept me notified!).

Of course, I then immediately succumbed to a combination of cold/flu/allergies, leaving me miserable. Still coming out from under.

Haven't printed the translation yet, and probably won't be able to for another couple weeks; my wife dragged my ailing carcass 400 miles to upstate NY, where we will celebrate Easter with some family, and linger for the Solar Eclipse, which is supposed to pass directly overhead.

Briefly, the book appears tp be a tour de force, with a cornucopia of truly beautiful pictures of weapons the like of which I'll never get to see in person, much less handle.

It includes copious historical information, and will be a tremendous reference for an area of study that has been rather more obscure than one would like.

A rousing Thank You to Dmitriy! and I'll provide more as my disease wanes and I return home to the text.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 07:03 PM   #5
Turkoman.khan

Guys, I carefully studied the book, read it completely and was simply delighted. I'm looking forward to the second volume of the book. A rousing thank you to Dmitriy!
Turkoman.khan is offline   Reply With Quote