Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st March 2021, 03:54 AM   #1
JoeCanada42

now this is just random musings at this point and will be the last though i share for today. hopefully someone will step in and say something sensible. in the latest jian sword I posted there is the flying dragon facing the Jian bird.
i find that cute as the dragon could be seen to represent a dinosaur, and we are even learning dinosaurs have feathers, infact dinosaurs turned into birds, the rooster/chicken is infact the closest related animal to the Trex. Roosters lost theyre fangs and claws and gained a spur, humans made our own spurs(blade weapons), we defeated the dragons and beasts in nature and now we rule the world. when at one point Trex was on top.

Last edited by JoeCanada42; 1st March 2021 at 08:56 PM.
JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 03:35 AM   #2
JoeCanada42

I found an Italian sword I have a photo of, I will post when possible, it is for sale... it has an eagle heraldic, the tail and the wings are very similar to the jian.
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This has become an interesting look into the kinds of symbolism which influences the elements and decoration of various ethnographic edged weapons. While not necessarily directly connected, and many similarities are of course convergently created, one can only wonder how far influences can diffuse through the complex networks of trade.

In going through various references it is interesting to see how ancient weapon designs can occur atavistically, and to see the for example certain African weapons which are remarkably like some seen in ancient Egypt.

It seems that many of the tribal sword and edged weapon forms which are designed for certain traditional, official and ceremonial purposes often are decorated in artistic renditions of proverbs and other tribal references.
This character is found in many of these from the West African countries and into the Congo regions.

In accord with the design of this sword in the original post, I found this example captioned as a 'byongi parade sword' of the Ekonda people of the Congo. Naturally the teerm 'parade' is a western perception of a weapon used ceremonially in processions or events.

Note that the symmetrical features in this case are in the blade itself, while in the example featured in the orig post it comprises the hilt design.

The interesting look into the symbolism of various birds, chickens etc. as used in other cultural weaponry motif, compare well to the similarity of such zoomorphic representation with the 'hen' simile in West African adinkra symbols....and compellingly like the upward extensions on this hilt.

I would note here that animal horns may be possibly intended on those, and that with the Asante people in Ghana, the sword bearer wears a helmet with horns. I believe that rams horns are intended in this case, pertaining to a proverb concerning a ram. Perhaps the same convention might apply with this hilt to some such proverb ?
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 04:38 PM   #4
JoeCanada42

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ara+blade+mark

the above kaskara shared on the forum was discussed concerning its symbol, maybe its a coincidence , I think it looks similar to the akokonan.
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2021, 10:10 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Joe,
Actually that particular marking on the kaskara would be considered mostly not connected to the discussion on the interesting sword you posted in the OP.
While it reflects a degree of the artistic 'style' , the key element, as in much of the art in African material culture is the symmetry.

It is of course, not terribly surprising to not have an exact match in the references and compendiums of African arts as most of this is localized and often individually designed. Bringing together such preferences and notable influences in art will bring remarkable, and 'coincidental' comparisons.

In discussions with a prominent professor of anthropology whose primary field is in African cultures and religions, he suggested this item may be of the Ekonda people, who are a sub group of the Bantu Mongo people. These tribes are situated in the equitorial forests of the Congo in Central Africa, with large concentrations in Bandundu province (western Congo).

While this naturally this cannot be presumed as conclusive, it is based mostly on the symmetry found in some of their material culture with some similarity.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 03:48 AM   #6
JoeCanada42

Thanks Jim, for the Good info I will research the peoples you suggest, it does sound like some of the possible locations of origin I briefly looked at while researching the symbol. I agree the similarity between my sword and the blade marking is very likely a coincidence. I just figured since I found the symbol on my sword, I may find the symbol on another, maybe not a kaskara...
I jump around between researching many things, maybe I hope eventually to come across some info concerning the akokonan symbol prior to it being used in Adinkra.