Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th July 2017, 11:44 PM   #1
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieje
Several months ago I've sent a naginata from Europe to the USA using DHL.
I bought a 2m long plastic tube to be sure it arrived safely, off course it did.
I would agree with,Pieje. Thank you for bringing this up! These plastic tubes are a good option however you have to make sure that the plastic some flex and is not brittle. I have had a plastic tube crack apart before.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 12:33 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Default Industrial Strength

I showed you guys some of this stuff in post #9; it comes in varying diameters and is practically indestructible due to double wall construction. It is also lighter than the PVC tubing shown in other's posts.
The stuff can be a bit hard to find; try electrical contractors supply companies.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 05:56 AM   #3
Philip

These tubes are really handy for just about all spears, and polearms like nagynatas that aren't too wide or curved. Others, like halberds, ronconi, and the like, are problematic due to the width. But you can still use the PVC tube to "armor" the shaft area, then run a couple pieces of wood to brace the sides of the head, extending down the shaft a ways, following the principle that Artzi used to reinforce the Chinese bow. You have to "build" a heavy cardboard or thin plywood casing to enclose the head where it comes out of the tube, but if everything is strong and tight, there should be no worries. I'm a great believer in Gorilla Tape to hold things together.

The trick is to protect sharp points and corners on weapons that don't come with scabbards. Corks, or wrapping with a strip of cardboard plus lots of tape and a prayer, are NOT foolproof. The sides and end of the casing need to be protected with wood covering any possible area that the tip can move and poke out.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 10:29 PM   #4
estcrh

Another near disaster, this box contained a rather rare and valuable pistol and tabar. The box was split open and the end of the pistol barrel was sticking out, fortunately there did not seem to be any damage. The box was lined inside with additional cardboard and the items were bubble wrapped.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:28 PM   #5
Philip

Angry ouch! ready for another horror story?

Just today UPS delivered 3 talwars sent by a customer for restoration. I set the box down on one end so I could sign the delivery receipt, and felt something heavy go "thunk" inside. Turns out that one tip protruded about an inch, enough to nick the hardwood floor of the vestibule and it wasn't the first time it happened in transit because the point was already bent at an angle Sender used a flimsy box, not enough padding to keep contents (banded together) from "sloshing" , and absolutely nothing to guard the exposed points on these swords!

I tend to discourage the use of UPS anyway, they tend to beat up parcels in general, almost as bad as the postal service, but neglected to advise sender in advance. One shipment, last year, was received with corner of box cut open and a couple of sword fittings purloined
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 08:18 PM   #6
rickystl

Here's another handy item to use in packing. Works well for many items.
Air Conditioning tubing insulation. It's very inexpensive and you can pick it up at any Home Depot or Lowe's. If I recall, it comes in about 4 different diameters. Saves a lot of extra packing wrap, etc. in many cases.
As an example: I wrap gun barrels with this insulation, tape the ends, and then slide it into a PVC tube. That way the gunsmith can simply return it to me in the same tube. Just change the shipping label.
I can see this assisting in packing some blades, crossguards, handles, etc.
Just an extra idea.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:03 AM   #7
Neil

So Sorry. For whatever it is worth you are clearly not alone. I have had numerous bent blades and broken tips over the years too.

I tape wooden shims over the ends of the bare blades I send and pack the surrounding areas firmly. Over seas packages go in strong tubes. I also write in fragile in large print on all sides of the packages.

Just my two cents.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote