Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th June 2023, 11:50 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Archaic Moro barung

This one is a recent pick-up from an online auction. I was surprised to get it as the only bidder on the item. Sometimes things just fall out that way, which helps make collecting such an enjoyable pastime.

The barung is very old. Evidence for this is its style of junggayan hilt, which, I understand, is the oldest style of junggayan hilt known. The elegance and simplicity of this hilt is distinctive. The blade is laminated, of an early shandigan type, and has seen much use. The edge shows several small irregular areas where nicks have been polished out, from the middle of the blade to the tip. The same regions of the blade show surface pitting, again consistent with use as a weapon.

After discussion with another forum member, I believe this one dates from the 18th C or very early 19th C. It was most likely owned by a powerful datu or panglima, or perhaps Moro royalty. The blade may have been made in the Sulu Archipelago or could have come from Borneo.

It is very uncommon to find an early junggayan barung like this one outside of museums.

Dimensions:
Overall length = 59 cm (~23.25 in)
Hilt length (blade to tip of kakatua tail) = 21.0 cm (~8.25 in)
Width of junggayan pommel (tip to tip) = 134.0 cm (~5.0 in)
Punto length = 9.5 cm (~3.75 in)
Blade length = 38.0 cm (~15.0 in)
Blade maximum width = 5.5 cm (~2.2 in) at 16.5 cm (~6.5 in) from the hilt
Balance point at 7.5 cm (~3.0 in) from the hilt.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2023, 02:00 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I would agree that the blade is much older than the hilt, which I agree is an early form of junggayan hilt.

Nice example.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2023, 08:06 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Some more archaic barung hilts

Here are two more 19th C barung that feature typical hilts from that period. They each have a very abbreviated form of "beak" and "crest" on the kakatua pommel. This often indicated a fighting weapon that would not easily snag on clothing, etc. The one on the right has a braided cord/jute series of wraps, and again this may have been a feature of a fighting weapon as the cord could absorb blood and prevent the hilt from becoming slippery. Both blades are laminated.

I believe these barung are typical of early- to mid-19th C weapons, although they could date from the 18th C.

There is at least one earlier, and even more minimalist, form of the kakatua hilt that comprises simple small points for the "beak and "tail" of the pommel, but in other respects resembles the junggayang hilt shown above in the original post of this thread. I have an example of this style in my archives and will post pics shortly.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 3rd July 2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 4th July 2023, 08:28 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Here are pictures of an earlier non-junggayang form. The "crest" is barely apparent and the beak is a simple "point." Compare the width of the proximal part of the hilt where the palm of the hand would sit. In this case and in the original post, that area is unusually wide compared with later hilts. In part, this has to do with the manner in which the beak is carved on later hilts, with the hook of the "beak" being longer and going deeper into the pommel on later examples.The change on later hilts may have had something to do with martial art styles, because the longer hook enables the little finger to engage the hilt more securely, facilitating a long-handle swing and thereby offering greater angular momentum for a blow. The slight change in pommel width for subsequent hilts might also have offered a different form of grip for the hand, but a Moro martial arts person may have some ideas on this.

Attached Images

Old 4th July 2023, 03:08 PM   #5
Sajen

Here you can see two similar barungs from my collection, the two on the right, both are also with shandigan blades. Sadly both pommels are not complete.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2023, 03:24 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Sajen, thanks for showing those examples. Very nice early forms.
Old 4th July 2023, 03:27 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Another example of the early junggayang hilt, again with a shandigan blade. This one was exhibited in the History of Steel Exhibition in Macao. It is a personal favorite of mine.

Attached Images

Old 4th July 2023, 03:34 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Sajen, thanks for showing those examples. Very nice early forms.
Thank you Ian! The one on the complete right is a monster with a length of 65,5 cm out of scabbard and has a very nice ferrule.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 4th July 2023 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 6th July 2023, 12:55 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Detlef I like that silver chasing work on the punto!

Last edited by Battara; 7th July 2023 at 02:08 AM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2023, 05:04 AM   #10
drac2k

Sajen, thank you for sharing your beautiful barongs with us !
drac2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2023, 08:30 AM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
Sajen, thank you for sharing your beautiful barongs with us !
My enjoy David!
Old 6th July 2023, 08:36 AM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
Detlef I like that silver chasing work on the pinto!
Hello Jose, it was an extra surprise since it wasn't visible on the pictures from the German auction house.
Old 7th July 2023, 08:53 AM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Thank you Ian! The one on the complete right is a monster with a length of 65,5 cm out of scabbard and has a very nice ferrule.
Comgratulations on such a great barung. That's unusually long for an early barung.
Old 7th July 2023, 09:29 AM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Comgratulations on such a great barung. That's unusually long for an early barung.
Thank you Ian! Funnily I've purchased it once by a German auction house as single bidder.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 8th July 2023, 04:08 PM   #15
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Thank you Ian! Funnily I've purchased it once by a German auction house as single bidder.

Regards,
Detlef
Detlef,

I think there has been a lack of general knowledge until recently about these archaic styles of barung and an undervaluing of them by the market. They are rather "plain" compared with some later examples, and maybe not considered very desirable. As I noted already, the style of hilt is one of my favorites and I think it is a beautiful example of Moro art and craftmanship. However, with increasing awareness of these older forms, the days of finding "sleepers" may be coming to an end (like archaic kris and twist core examples, which are now much more expensive than 10-15 years ago).

In the recent auction where I purchased the one I posted at the head of this thread there was an early 20th C barung with a fancier carved pommel that went for the same price.

Last edited by Ian; 8th July 2023 at 04:22 PM.
Old 16th July 2023, 07:03 AM   #16
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Another example of an old style hilt, with a wide pommel but abbreviated beak and crest. This one also has a narrow horn ring at the end of the punto, similar to another example in post 3 above. Such a horn ring or spacer is uncommon in my experience.

Attached Images

Old 16th July 2023, 08:40 AM   #17
Copycat

Nice examples of plain barongs / barungs. Plain edged weapons are charming if the quality of its intended purpose are up to standard.

Posting mine. Not sure if it's Moro origin. It's plain but the quality of it's steel is one of the best in my collection. Very hard, yet not brittle. The thickness of the base almost 1,5 cm. Solid hilt. Good grip.
Attached Images

Copycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2023, 03:27 PM   #18
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Copycat,

Nice old barung. The blade looks a little more forward weighted than usually found on Sulu blades. Also, the hilt does not look like it is of Sulu origin, although the "crest" area of the pommel is missing which makes it a bit more difficult to identify.

Last edited by Ian; 16th July 2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 16th July 2023, 05:18 PM   #19
Copycat

Hi Ian,

Thank you. The tail is almost non existent and we can only speculate the crest area.

Other clues are:
- the use of horn on the hilt
- style of rope binding on the hilt
Copycat is offline   Reply With Quote