Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th March 2024, 03:21 AM   #1
Nightfury223

Talking New Keris Identification

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to be able to have a Keris identified. I was able to get my hands on this at a nonprofit thrift store for a seriously mismarked price and I am wondering if it is authentic. If so, I would also like to know how old it might be, though I understand if that is not possible. I don't know too much about Keris blades but any information you can gather would be great, thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Nightfury223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2024, 10:20 AM   #2
milandro

this appears to be a Tilam Upih Dhapur, straight, so, Lurus , kris with a WOS Wutah pamor.

It is in the Jogjakarta style. The mendak looks copper but probably is made of some other material but red.

I wouldn't say that this strikes me a particularly old (40?) but others may have different opinion about it

It is a good example of its type, the pendok is a rather standard one.

The grip should be rotated
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2024, 07:09 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, i agree with most of what Milandro said, but while the dress is probably more recent i believe that blade is probably older than 40 years. I would judge the blade antique, the dress vintage. I'm not quite sure what the mendhak (the ring between the hilt and blade, is made from, but it does look like the very red aspect of it is some added pigment.
To add more specific directions to Milandro's advice, the hilt needs to be rotated 180º. It is face exactly opposite of it's intended position.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2024, 08:21 PM   #4
Sajen

Agree with David, the blade seems to my eyes antique. And I don't think it's Tilam Upih but I am unsure, I would need to see other pictures.
The sarung seems to be without patina, could be refurbished or recent and is a somewhat special Jogya gayaman form. And yes, please rotate the hilt by 180 degrees.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2024, 09:37 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Based upon what I believe I can see in the photos:-

the keris is certainly an older blade, probably 19th century, dhapur brojol, pamor wos wutah, very likely classifiable as Tuban, but I would need to see the sirah cecak to be sure.

the dress is rather poor quality pasar level, 1970's, maybe 1960's, Jogja style.

Overall,an absolutely typical Jogja keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2024, 03:06 PM   #6
milandro

Just to clarify, I didn't intend to say the blade was 40 years old but that it was from the '40, could be 80 years could be 100 If you have reasons to think it is older that may be
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keris