Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd January 2021, 09:18 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Afghan Battle Axe

Hello ALL

I won this axe in a recent auction. Being primarily a gun enthusiast, this is one of the few blades I own.
The auction description says it's an Afghan battle axe, which appears to be a correct description and origin. Do you guys agree ?
Before I received it I was a bit worried that it might turn out to be something like an early/mid 20th Century tourist type copy, with a cast blade and the like.
But after receiving it I must say I'm rather pleased. The blade is a forging. And tapers from thick at the spine to thin at the edge. The type of blade that might be used to shear through leather or mail. Not for cutting wood. And the blade is still sharp. The punch work and brass decoration is well done and appears to represent Afghan style. The wood handle is old, and has some interesting swirl type decoration that was applied to the handle before the stain was applied.
I wouldn't begin to guess the age. But I think there are others on the Forum that have Afghan style axes. It does make a nice accessory to my Afgan shooters belt. LOL
Thanks for any comments. And thanks for looking.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #2
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hello ALL

I won this axe in a recent auction. Being primarily a gun enthusiast, this is one of the few blades I own.
The auction description says it's an Afghan battle axe, which appears to be a correct description and origin. Do you guys agree ?
Before I received it I was a bit worried that it might turn out to be something like an early/mid 20th Century tourist type copy, with a cast blade and the like.
But after receiving it I must say I'm rather pleased. The blade is a forging. And tapers from thick at the spine to thin at the edge. The type of blade that might be used to shear through leather or mail. Not for cutting wood. And the blade is still sharp. The punch work and brass decoration is well done and appears to represent Afghan style. The wood handle is old, and has some interesting swirl type decoration that was applied to the handle before the stain was applied.
I wouldn't begin to guess the age. But I think there are others on the Forum that have Afghan style axes. It does make a nice accessory to my Afgan shooters belt. LOL
Thanks for any comments. And thanks for looking.

Rick
Congratulations Rick!
A very good battle ax. Undoubtedly Afghanistan.
Personally, I believe that these axes belong to the late 19th - early 20th century. They are lighter and more graceful than the battle axes of the early 19th century. These axes could be used as weapons, but they were mainly attributes of village elders (aksakals).
By the way, many British officers who visited Afghanistan write in their memoirs that battle axes have ceased to be used by Afghans in battles since about the middle of the 19th century.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2021, 07:48 PM   #3
rickystl

Hi Mahratt

Thanks for your reply and comments. And, thanks for the mini history of axe use in Afghanistan. Interesting.

So, in later years the battle style axe was relegated to more of a status symbol for the elders. Makes sense.

Before I placed a bid I never thought it was very old. Yes, maybe around the turn of the 20th Century would be a good guess in this case. And it appears to have seen little use, if any.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote