Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Question Help requested on Islamic? inscriptions on a heavy axe

The pictures below are of inscriptions on each side of a fairly heavy axe blade. I would appreciate any translation and also your impressions on where and when the axe may have originated. I liked the axe when I first saw it and I bought it. Later, I began to think I had made a mistake and I relegated it to decorator status (meaning I still liked it even if I had made a mistake). Just recently I saw a very similar example in a museum case, which has tended to reaffirm my first impression.

I will, in due course, show the whole blade and promise to share pictures of the one in the museum. But for now, I'd prefer not to prejudice you.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I will, in due course, show the whole blade and promise to share pictures of the one in the museum. But for now, I'd prefer not to prejudice you.
.... YOU HAD PROMESSED

1st pic;The Shahada, the Muslim declaration of belief in the oneness of God and acceptance of Muhammad as his prophet
"Lā ilaha illal-Lāh, Muhammadun rasūlula-Lāh"
either “There is no god but God, Muhammad is the Messenger of God"

2nd pic; "Al Fath" (The Victory) surate 48 verse 1
either; Verily We have granted thee a manifest Victory:

you get it

à +

Dom (temporary from Laurel - MA - USA)
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Welcome to my home state Dom !
We have very nice beaches on Cape Cod .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Lee
EAAF Staff

Wink Phase 2, zooming back

My thanks, Dom, for your help with understanding the inscriptions. Does the style of the calligraphy give any suggestion of origin?

Below are the promised pictures of both faces of the axe. I apologize for leaving a scale out of the photographs, from the hammer head to the center edge measures 23.5 cm and from horn to horn in a straight line is 24 cm. The overall mass is 2.6 kg, including a plain wooden haft. The blade of the axe is surprisingly dull and about 1.5 mm thick. Also, I get the impression that the decoration was applied after and around the gash on the socket in the top picture and was similarly applied over a scraped depressed area on the blade face in the bottom picture.

Over the socket there is a representation of a live bird which appears to be standing over a dead bird. Do you know what this references?

I have e-mailed the department in the museum where I saw a very similar axe requesting any further information they can provide about the provenance of their example and I am awaiting their reply...

In the meantime, does anyone want to stick their neck out (no, not over the block) and propose an attribution before I share my museum observations?
Attached Images

Old 11th June 2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Dom

the calligraphy don't give any information,

as far as is purely religious mentions,
it's obligatory in Arabic language,
even if the country of origin is not arabic speakers, e.i.; Persia, India

due to what is mentionned on above
no ideas from where it's could come from

without to take a big risk (I'm ready to put one nail on the block under the blade)
it's Indo-Persian
even more Indo than Persan

now I leave the place to my collegues, who could have their appreciations
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Lee
EAAF Staff

Red face Need to collect a few more nail trimmings

Dom, I appreciate your courage in stepping forward! Your conclusion of "Indo-Persian, even more Indo than Persian" is exactly what I had come to think about this axe, and like you, I was not really very comfortable with that attribution.

In due course I had consigned it in my mind as "eccentric Indian Raj-era souvenir." Of course, the considerable weight would be the opposite of what one would expect from this attribution and the decoration might also be a bit too restrained. And, of course, the very plain wooden handle would also not fit this scenario. Dull would be consistent, however.

I had also wondered about it being made as an executioner's axe - the mass would be good for that - but then dull becomes a big problem. And, of course, with the help of your translations, such a purpose would appear to be inconsistent with the inscriptions.

Needless to say, I suppose, is that the museum's attribution for their very similar axe is "none of those above." I am still waiting to hear back from them as to any information they might have on the provenance of their example and I will use that as an excuse to see if any other forum members develop the courage to put a fingernail forth...