Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th November 2018, 12:48 PM   #91
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Thanks Jim that is a great picture of the Majescule A which probably changes down the ages as some have the cross bar projecting another bar to the base...as seen on the project odd sword.

I agree that it would be quite peculiar to see a Christian weapon with a staunchly Muslim pommel attached displaying the Omani Dancing configuration of Pommel and the Solomon style geometry plus the Islamic gridded Talismanic squares with little circles on... actually figure 5s. To my knowledge this would be completely unheard of. The fact that the blade probably shows a biblical quotation in a kind of capital lettered shorthand plus there in a cross at one end of the script topping the cartouche...further throws doubt on the situation.

Turning to the other sword with the hilt from the famous Iconic Sayf Yamaani Omani battle sword that certainly dates to 1000 ad (The Arts Of The Muslim Knight, Bashir Mohamed.) but may go back to 751 as one of a series of sword designs of The Prophet... It was Iconized by possibly the most famous Sultan; Saaid bin Sultan who ruled 1804 to 1856...and who during his reign had the weapon Iconized with a silvered hilt . The hilt has a Minarette shaped geometric handle and a Mosque dome Pommel. This is the closest weapon I have seen which could be said to be the weapon of Ibaathi Islam.

Coupled to Christian blades this makes no sense but amazingly there is one similar in the museum at Muscat. Needless to say I know when and who sold them the item and I can advise caution in using it as a reference.

Nevertheless... at Forum I think the odd sword is handled well and viewing the interesting parts is fair... I was always of the opinion that the hilts could have made a reasonable subject for a students research as part of a thesis such is the rarity especially of the pommel decoration.

Observing the star shape for a moment it comes from the Solomon star shape geometry and is included in many artefact dishes and trays as well as Ewers and Islamic jewelery to name a few. A similar but unassociated shape appears on Wilkinsons swords at the throat...Below is one of the clearest examples I have and the ring is inscribed in Islamic verses.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 13th November 2018 at 01:04 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 01:42 PM   #92
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

HAVING RE READ this entirely mind bending thread I am of the opinion that the closest to cracking the code on the blade is ~

A51DDA

At Augsberg Psalm 51(or the book of Revelations) Dominus Deus At Augsberg.

That being only half the story as there has been a lot of play in joining blades with hilts here and the two while important may now be seen in their true (or untrue light.)

Last edited by Ian; 30th March 2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Reformatted text to standard size
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 11:32 PM   #93
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi

+NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+
Damn, now everyone knows my Vikingsword Forum password!
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2021, 09:58 AM   #94
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
Damn, now everyone knows my Vikingsword Forum password!
...and it's your bank account's. I only too a few hundred bitcoins.

Ibrahim, why the shouting?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2021, 01:35 PM   #95
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
... Ibrahim, why the shouting?
Just a formatting error I think--now adjusted to normal size.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2021, 03:12 PM   #96
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Just a formatting error I think--now adjusted to normal size.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote