Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st March 2021, 08:32 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default Unidentified sword

Hello friends. Nice to be back. I have 3 blades to share (and gather info). This first one is an unidentified sword. My first impression on looking at the blade's profile (and info from blade friends from leyte), that it is a Leyte blade. However, the hilt is not Leyte. It bears the semblance of a Samar hilt profile. This one was purchased by my father from a seller/owner who hails from Samar.

A fellow friend from Leyte identifies this blade as an OYON Blade- a Waray(people of Leyte) term meaning straight blade.

But what could it possibly be? The blade's length is 20 inches. The pommel is made of a certain hardwood with a deity(?) carved on the pommel.

No scabbard.

The blade is currently being restored by a trusted restorer.

Any info is much appreciated.

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 08:40 AM   #2
tanaruz

Default SINUNGOT HIPON BLADE(?)

This is my 2nd blade.

Friends gave their opinion as it being a Tagalog Sinungot Hipon. Your info/input is highly appreciated.

The blade is 13.5 inches long. Hilt is carabao horn with a peened tang.
No scabbard.

Currently for full restoration.

Yves

Note: the right side of the entire blade has 'scalloped' design (left side none).
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2021, 11:14 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Yves,

Thanks for sharing two more interesting blades. The first one needs better pictures. I cannot make out much detail at all from what you posted.

The second one does look Tagalog in style. Judging from the marks you show on one side of the blade, it seems this knife was forged from a file or rasp which commonly produce that pattern. The hilt looks like a standard, three-part construction--ferrule/wood or horn grip/ferrule--and the end plate with peined over tang is fairly standard too. There is not a whole lot of distinguishing features to identify a specific place of manufacture. There is a small cut out area of the blade adjacent to the hilt (a small "Spanish notch" perhaps) which might ring a bell for somebody. I've seen similar features on knives from Ilocos Norte, but I don't think this one is Ilokano.

I've heard these style of knives referred to as matulis (pointy), presumably because of their long tapering point.

Last edited by Ian; 31st March 2021 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 12:14 PM   #4
kronckew

Cna hardly see the original photos in post#1.

So I enlarged them: I like the Dog too.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 31st March 2021 at 12:26 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 05:53 AM   #5
tanaruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Yves,

Thanks for sharing two more interesting blades. The first one needs better pictures. I cannot make out much detail at all from what you posted.

The second one does look Tagalog in style. Judging from the marks you show on one side of the blade, it seems this knife was forged from a file or rasp which commonly produce that pattern. The hilt looks like a standard, three-part construction--ferrule/wood or horn grip/ferrule--and the end plate with peined over tang is fairly standard too. There is not a whole lot of distinguishing features to identify a specific place of manufacture. There is a small cut out area of the blade adjacent to the hilt (a small "Spanish notch" perhaps) which might ring a bell for somebody. I've seen similar features on knives from Ilocos Norte, but I don't think this one is Ilokano.

I've heard these style of knives referred to as matulis (pointy), presumably because of their long tapering point.
Hello Sir Ian,

indeed it's a Luzon matulis! A probable typical Katipunero bolo. This piece was originally bought from Bulacan (Balagtas). A very nice leather scabbard would complete this lovely piece. I've seen a picture on the net that 's almost en eact replica of my blade- with a leather piece on the scabbard's throat - pointing the way that it has seen service in the Visayan area. Many thanks.
Old 1st April 2021, 05:56 AM   #6
tanaruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
Cna hardly see the original photos in post#1.

So I enlarged them: I like the Dog too.
Ha ha. a dog lover like myself (and my father). So sorry for the poor picture. This was taken at the owner's place in Samar and was sent to me.

The blade is now being fully restored, and once it;s done, I will post more crisp pictures of the piece. Yves
Old 7th April 2021, 03:04 AM   #7
tanaruz

Default unidentified sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz
Hello friends. Nice to be back. I have 3 blades to share (and gather info). This first one is an unidentified sword. My first impression on looking at the blade's profile (and info from blade friends from leyte), that it is a Leyte blade. However, the hilt is not Leyte. It bears the semblance of a Samar hilt profile. This one was purchased by my father from a seller/owner who hails from Samar.

A fellow friend from Leyte identifies this blade as an OYON Blade- a Waray(people of Leyte) term meaning straight blade.

But what could it possibly be? The blade's length is 20 inches. The pommel is made of a certain hardwood with a deity(?) carved on the pommel.

No scabbard.

The blade is currently being restored by a trusted restorer.

Any info is much appreciated.

Yves
Hi,

sharper, crisper pictures of sword #1(unidentified) before restoration. Rgds.
Attached Images