Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th April 2021, 08:56 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Yemeni Jambia

Picked this one up tonite, was listed as 19c, but I doubt that (see date on coins) 21cm blade. Grip looks like it's been refurbished a bit, (or is new) some pins replaced, sides cleaned & no sweat stains. Hope it's not plastic. Will see when it arrives from France.

Any info on coins, where/when it was made, what status it is welcome.

Thanks in advance for y'alls info.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 10:14 PM   #2
Kubur

I'm sincerely sorry to bring you bad news but your jambiya is very recent.
If you are from the UK, you know that the coins look like George V Sovereign gold coins.
"Look like" because there is no way to have two gold coins on a jambiya like this.
BUT if they are, then it's jackpot for you! I wish for you they are...
The coins are more likely copper or brass copies.
I attach a photo of a jambiya with a George V Sovereign.
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 10:24 PM   #3
Gonzoadler

Hello,

I had and still have many different Jambiyas and Khanjars and this is a typical Yemeni Jambiya from the last quarter of the 20th century. The coins which are used for the handles are often no real coins but imitate them. I tend to say that this is the case here. The handle looks like buffalo horn which is also typical. If you have luck, the stones are amber but plastic is also possible.
It is a nice piece. Not the finest but also not worse, I would say midclass.

Regards
Robin
Gonzoadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 11:17 PM   #4
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoadler
Hello,

I had and still have many different Jambiyas and Khanjars and this is a typical Yemeni Jambiya from the last quarter of the 20th century. The coins which are used for the handles are often no real coins but imitate them. I tend to say that this is the case here. The handle looks like buffalo horn which is also typical. If you have luck, the stones are amber but plastic is also possible.
It is a nice piece. Not the finest but also not worse, I would say midclass.
Regards
Robin
Just got a note from the current owner, he worked in Yemen for 5 years, bought it himself there and brought it back from there with him. He's mailing it tomorrow, so I hope to get it soon. I did suspect it was fairly new as the coin visible seems to have a 1979 date. Would be cool if they were gold and a real stone. Saw a video of an old man crying as he sold his jambiyah for $4000 to pay a debt, it had a rhino horn grip. Hope mine isn't as it has to come thru customs tho they seem to be not checking EU stuff too closely yet. Video I saw mentioned a really old one sold for over a million dollars. I expect mine was cheaper, . I also suspect the shopkeeper he bought it from was not above stretching the truth to make a sale. I hope it's sharp

read they use an artificial amber for many of them, but it's almost as expensive as real amber. All in all, Es macht nichts.
Old 7th April 2021, 11:33 PM   #5
Saracen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
I did suspect it was fairly new as the coin visible seems to have a 1979 date.
George V sovereign was minted until 1932. It's 1919 on your jambiya. And unfortunately, this is an imitation of coins
Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 11:42 PM   #6
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen
George V sovereign was minted until 1932. It's 1919 on your jambiya. And unfortunately, this is an imitation of coins
I was not expecting them to be real, figured they were brass or bronze and at best gold plated copies. wasn't sure if it was 1979 or 1919, but it doesn't matter really, as long as it's reasonably well made & has a real blade. Yemen is not making 'Replicas' they are continuing to make these for wear and use by the majority of it's male citizens as a cultural expression of their heritage. THATS important. Now I have to look out for a suitable belt long enough to encompas my slightly enlarged middle.

Being a Yankee in King Arthur's court, I don't know a lot about gold sovereigns. Thanks for the clarification on the dates.
Old 8th April 2021, 12:08 AM   #7
Saracen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
Yemen is not making 'Replicas' they are continuing to make these for wear and use by the majority of it's male citizens as a cultural expression of their heritage. THATS important. Now I have to look out for a suitable belt long enough to encompas my slightly enlarged middle.
You have a wonderful assib jambiya, be sure to find a belt and any Yemeni will recognize you as a representative of the respected Manasib class. Congratulations
Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2021, 01:10 AM   #8
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen
You have a wonderful assib jambiya, be sure to find a belt and any Yemeni will recognize you as a representative of the respected Manasib class. Congratulations
شكرا Shukran, excellent information, addition to it's description.