Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th February 2023, 07:00 PM   #1
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard R. View Post
Hi Nihl, Hi Mahratt

I would like to thank you very much for your contributions. Regarding the first blurred inscription, I will take more detailed pictures which may increase the chance of identification or partial translation.

Mahratt, would it be possible to show pictures of your comparable chain mail and inscription? Do you know the translation/meaning of your inscription?

Regards,
RIchard
Hi, Richard

Here are pictures of my chain mail shirt. Unfortunately, I do not have an exact translation of the inscription. The inscription was watched, including by the Indians. But everyone was at a loss with the translation.

Best Regards,
Dmitriy (mahratt)

नाम
सेटीयारठा परा जेमाणे
Attached Images

mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 12:16 PM   #2
Richard R.

Hi, Dimitry

Thank you for the nice pictures of your mail-plate armour.

Apparently there are chainmail-plate shirts with two main front plates and those with two pairs of overlapping main front plates, as well as those with three or of five rows of small plates in the back.

I wonder if these differences have something to do with a time period, geographic area or the size of the wearer?

Richard
Richard R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 08:45 PM   #3
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard R. View Post
Hi, Dimitry

Thank you for the nice pictures of your mail-plate armour.

Apparently there are chainmail-plate shirts with two main front plates and those with two pairs of overlapping main front plates, as well as those with three or of five rows of small plates in the back.

I wonder if these differences have something to do with a time period, geographic area or the size of the wearer?

Richard
Hello, Richard.

My opinion is that these chain mails were produced at about the same time in the same geographical region (Deccan). And the difference in the number of rows of small plates in the back is related to the size of the chain mail.

Dmitry
Old 25th February 2023, 09:07 PM   #4
mahratt

A few more similar chain mail from private collections + a link to information about the arsenal in Bikaner:
https://www.mandarinmansion.com/article/bikaner-armory
Attached Images