Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th March 2023, 11:37 PM   #1
Gavin Nugent

WOW Detlef, that patina! Those carvings!!! The condition!!!
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 12:06 AM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
WOW Detlef, that patina! Those carvings!!! The condition!!!
Hi Gav,

Thanks! Have to agree by patina and carving! The condition is acceptable, the leaf in front was once broken and it's not a good restoration.
But the ensemble is nice!
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 12:10 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Gav,

Thanks! Have to agree by patina and carving! The condition is acceptable, the leaf in front was once broken and it's not a good restoration.
But the ensemble is nice!
Oh, a tragic break. Nice to see that the break away section was retained though.
There are very good craftsmen out there who can faithfully repair these issues, but equally I feel sometimes things are best left alone and preserved as they are.
Old 10th March 2023, 12:18 AM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Oh, a tragic break. Nice to see that the break away section was retained though.
There are very good craftsmen out there who can faithfully repair these issues, but equally I feel sometimes things are best left alone and preserved as they are.
I know people also who would be able to restore it much better but I tend to leave it alone.
Old 10th March 2023, 12:29 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Detlef, there are a number of ways that we can repair this sort damage, some are almost imperceptible, others are a bit clumsy,but when the damage gets to the level that the damage on your wrongko has reached, the usual decision is to change the shape of the wrongko and make it a kacir style.

The Madurese kacir wrongko has a shortened and pointed front (angkup) and a shortened and pointed rear (daunan):-

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13435

I just reread this thread, it is worth a re-read, but post #11 is a good example of something that might have had the kacir treatment.

But if you cannot handle basic carving, then it might be best just re-do the present attempt and use tinted Araldite as both adhesive & filler.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 12:53 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Not wanting to move of the hulu topic, but am I seeing a crocodile and a bird in the carvings?
Both seem to be important figures in sea going cultures.

What is the legend behind the carvings on Detlef's wrongko?
Old 10th March 2023, 05:42 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Not wanting to move of the hulu topic, but am I seeing a crocodile and a bird in the carvings?
Both seem to be important figures in sea going cultures.

What is the legend behind the carvings on Detlef's wrongko?
Hello Gav,

Frankly said I don't seeing a bird nor a crocodile, I see a wing, yes, but I suppose it's either the Kuda Sembrani (a winged horse, said to coming from the Keraton Suminep) or Garuda, both symbols you can find also in front of some Donoriko hilts, see attached pictures.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 10th March 2023, 07:38 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Detlef, I would suggest that hot water is not really necessary, and water applied directly to the wood is perhaps not advisable.

Possibly the easiest way to get a glued joint apart is to put it in contact with damp cloth, wrap the cloth around it is what is usually done. It might take a few days, but most joints will usually weaken with this treatment.

Then wait a few weeks until the wood is thoroughly dry.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 05:17 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Detlef, there are a number of ways that we can repair this sort damage, some are almost imperceptible, others are a bit clumsy,but when the damage gets to the level that the damage on your wrongko has reached, the usual decision is to change the shape of the wrongko and make it a kacir style.

But if you cannot handle basic carving, then it might be best just re-do the present attempt and use tinted Araldite as both adhesive & filler.
Hello Alan,

For the moment I will let it be like this, it will be a future project to open the glued break and hot water damp and reglue it in a better way and fill up the missing piece of wood with wax or something else.
For the moment I have waxed it, it looks much better now.

To recarve the wrongko is no option.

Regards,
Detlef