Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th January 2020, 01:07 PM   #1
kai

Hello Albert,

I'd like to see more closeups of the blade (even if it is rather plain) and both sides of the hilt. Dimensions would be good to have, especially width and thickness of the blade!

From the short gripping area as well as the strongly down-curving pommel, I'd be inclined to believe it comes from Sulawesi; the fairly wide blade is not really typical though. Is it from mono steel?

Another option could be the Banjar/Negara melting pot with pretty down-curving pommels (apparently based on Sulawesi styles, anyway). I haven't seen any carved like this though.

The Sumatran hulu iku ite does not turn down that much.

The scabbard is certainly weird. I believe that the silver is a later colonial replacement, probably done on Java (Sunda or workshops around Yogyakarta have been doing silverwork for other regions for quite some time); it is possible that the silversmith was second-guessing at Sumatra, too.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Albert,

I'd like to see more closeups of the blade (even if it is rather plain) and both sides of the hilt. Dimensions would be good to have, especially width and thickness of the blade!

From the short gripping area as well as the strongly down-curving pommel, I'd be inclined to believe it comes from Sulawesi; the fairly wide blade is not really typical though. Is it from mono steel?

Another option could be the Banjar/Negara melting pot with pretty down-curving pommels (apparently based on Sulawesi styles, anyway). I haven't seen any carved like this though.

The Sumatran hulu iku ite does not turn down that much.

The scabbard is certainly weird. I believe that the silver is a later colonial replacement, probably done on Java (Sunda or workshops around Yogyakarta have been doing silverwork for other regions for quite some time); it is possible that the silversmith was second-guessing at Sumatra, too.

Regards,
Kai
Total length in scabbard: 69.5 cm
Length blade: 50.5 cm
Width blade: 40 - 42 mm
Thickness blade (near the hilt): 6 mm

More photos will follow.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2020, 10:11 PM   #3
kai

Hello Albert,

Quote:
Total length in scabbard: 69.5 cm
Length blade: 50.5 cm
Width blade: 40 - 42 mm
Thickness blade (near the hilt): 6 mm
Thanks for the data/pics!

That's a longer and wider blade than expected (by me); a bit on the thin side though. The blade might be laminated - difficult to verify due to the corrosion; I can't make out any pamor which could have helped to narrow down the origin.

Can you make out any differences in silver quality between the ferrule (with the ellipsoid motif) vs any other parts (especially with filigree and possibly also the cap of the hilt at the base of the blade?

I'd be inclined to stick with my vote for Sulawesi (pommel and possibly blade); my guess would be that (most of) the silver work is modern though.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2020, 12:22 PM   #4
Albert

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your valuable input!
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:08 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Albert, did you reach a final conclusion?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 07:07 PM   #6
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Albert, did you reach a final conclusion?
All the comments helped me a lot, but I did not reach a final conclusion yet.
I still hope to find some additional information in old literature or old photo's.
Old 28th May 2023, 01:00 AM   #7
JeffS

Just popping this typical sewar here in case anyone searches for Sumatra filigree. The work here is very basic and likely added later.
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote